Profile Picture

Coronavirus Projects

Posted By Florida_Phil 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
The Moon Tach is great.  Just the right amount of nostalgia and the quality is decent for a repro. I redyed my dash cover and the bottom on the dash.  Don't have much else to do except drive.  This car drives wonderfully. The steering is 1955, but it's as good as it's ever been. Once the brake shoes wore in, it stops fine.  All the car shows in our area have been cancelled, so it's just me and my wife on the back roads.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

NY59F100
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (150 reputation)Supercharged (150 reputation)Supercharged (150 reputation)Supercharged (150 reputation)Supercharged (150 reputation)Supercharged (150 reputation)Supercharged (150 reputation)Supercharged (150 reputation)Supercharged (150 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Phil,

I really like the tachometer.  I have been thinking about using that one for awhile now.  I too found that the old Sun tachs are all but impossible to find since the Sun company is no longer or was absorbed by a bigger company, I forgot which one.  Was the Moon tach easy to set up?  How does it attach to the steering column?  Is it just a stainless band clamp?

Thanks,
Soffian

Soffian Adam
Jamestown, NY
59 F100, 55 Club sedan
Florida_Phil
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

The Moon Tach looks very close to an old Sun Tach.  It comes with everything you need.  You can mount it on the steering column with the clamp provided or mount it flat.  Wiring is standard.   Red wire goes to keyed power, Black to ground, Green to the coil and white for the lights.  The canister is chromed plastic, but it looks like metal.  I paid $100.56 including shipping to my home in Florida.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

2721955meteor
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 8 days ago
for such a nice car,my opinion is you have stepped back with the dash,put a tack back in where it belongs,there are clocks that will fit. don't know about why a tack would not work,i have ford duraspark and tack works fine. ford did such a nice job on the original dash don't give up
slumlord444
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Love the tach. I have an older Sun that is doing funny things at high rpm. May ordrer one. I'm fine with your gauge setup. Restomods and hot rods are realy popular now and actially selling for more than total stockers. Never thought it would be this way. My '57 was ha hot rod/restomod before the term restomod existed. Haven't changed anything that couldn't be changed back but love the performance and drivability of my Mummert head 322 cubic inch Y Block and 4 speed toploader. Have fun with it.
Florida_Phil
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I understand originality.  I'm am not a big fan of the restomod craze. I can't think of anything more ridiculous looking than a beautiful old classic car with 22" wheels and a back seat full of stereo speakers.  If you want a car that drives like a new car, I think you should buy a new car.

I did not buy this car because it was a '55 Thunderbird.  I wanted a rust free black YBlock manual transmission car that I could hot rod and the TBird became available at the right price.   My wife always wanted a convertible, so it happened.  Now that I have this Tbird, I find I enjoy driving it more than any other old car I have ever owned.  These cars are getting a lot more affordable than they used to be.  They will most likely all be close to worthless in twenty years.  The feeling I get when I go through the gears is priceless.

2721955meteor
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 8 days ago
my take is the changes have a negative action on a great looking  bird,very hard to improve henrys dash on the early birds. there was a moment you can't activate a electric tack. i have  duraspark on my 292 and the ad on tack works fine. any way i like your car but would not have those changes.i had 2 55 birds over the years wish i kept 1.
MoonShadow
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 53 minutes ago
As of today my Covid-19 project is shoveling snow, again! The temperatures are moving upward now so I expect to get a few days in on my roadster. The 56 will languish in trailer storage for at least another month. Hopefully this year it will come out ready to check over, start and go. I plan to make the Y-Block Nationals in June and then head to Bonneville with the roadster in August.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
Florida_Phil
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I am aware some people do not like to see these cars modified.  Values are dropping on all of these cars dramatically. There are so many of them for sale, I don't see how this is harming anything.  That said, I am careful not to cut the car or do anything that can not be reversed.  My garage is stacked with all the original parts to this bird.  If desired, the next owner can put it back to the way Henry built it.

panel driver
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Great Tbird you have there. Even better it's still a y block.  This a project i been trying to finish. 
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/8f8ed8c5-fd60-4a36-868c-382d.jpg

Located in Harford County Maryland 

Reading This Topic

Site Meter