Profile Picture

EFI Throttle body on a Y

Posted By HT32BSX115 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Howdy all,
I am considering replacing the 390 CFM Holley on my 272 with either an MSD (Holley) Atomic EFI or Holley Sniper.
Has anyone else done this?

Cheers,

Rick

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1955 F-600/272/E4OD// Disclaimer: No animals were injured while test driving my F-600 except the ones I ran over intentionally!

---------------------
This post was created using OpenSuSE Linux x64 and Firefox

Florida_Phil
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Why do you want to do this?  Performance, cool factor?  

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

Ted
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
While the fuel injection units cure some of the starting and drivability issues that can come from using carburetors, you are essentially trading one set of problems for another.  You can figure about three years for a carburetor before some kind of service work must be performed.  For a fuel injection unit, that number goes to 10+ years assuming good electrics and clean fuel.  The detriment to fuel injection units will be keeping all the rubber connections in good condition and the electrical connections can become suspect over time due to corrosion.  Grounds are your enemy with any electrical connections.

I have used most of the F.I. units out there and they all crank up and run.  Cold starting is great and once the unit ‘learns’ what the engine wants, drivability is also good.  What you don’t want are all the extra features available on some of the units as that just runs the price up.  While the Holley Sniper unit is good, it’s loaded with lots of features that you need to research as to whether you need those or not.  Also look at the requirements for return lines as most of our old cars will need fuel tank modifications to accommodate that.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Florida_Phil
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

I guess it all depends on what you want from your Y Block.   Younger guys don't remember when you could buy a decent 57 Ford for $200.   Those were the first Hot Rods many of us had.  Putting a fuel injection unit on a 292 is like adding a game controller to a 1955 black and white TV.  It works, but it's not the same.   My Holley 465 runs as good as any fuel injection unit and it costs 1/3 the price.  If it quits, I can fix it without dragging out a laptop trying to interpret a bunch of error codes.  If I wanted fuel injection, I would trade in my Y block for a 5.0 Mustang. 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

HT32BSX115
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)

Thanks Ted!

I am familiar with how to mitigate electrical problems.   There is one problem with fuel pumps that I have discovered lately.  Seems some external high pressure pumps may have a higher failure rate over the submerged (in-tank)  type.  I of course will have additional electrical "things" due to the E4OD and associated control unit.  I can make my current 390CFM Holley work ok. 

There is no question about the better start-ability/drive-ability etc.....  I don't think either the Sniper or the MSD Atomic requires a laptop for anything.  (They have their own control box/display)

I also know a little about 57 Fords...... ( I paid $150 for mine.....wish I still had it!)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1955 F-600/272/E4OD// Disclaimer: No animals were injured while test driving my F-600 except the ones I ran over intentionally!

---------------------

Florida_Phil
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I think EFI is cool.  I'm not sure it belongs on a Y-Block, but why not give it a try?  My issue is the cost and the modifications necessary compared to the advantages.   My 465 Holley is running on my car with it's out-of-the-box jets.  The only change I made was a 65 power valve because the cam I have is low on vacuum. My plugs are light brown.  I experience no bogging or hesitation.  Wide open throttle is adequate.   I had triple carbs running on my car for a while.  That was a mistake.  My car has a 57 "B" iron intake that I bought off EBay for $200.  It starts, drives and never gives me any problems.  What would EFI do for me that my Holley doesn't?

HT32BSX115
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

By the way Phil,
If that black T-bird is yours.......IT Is ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!

Part of what I want to do is because of the better and more efficient operating conditions, drivability etc.   My next door neighbor switched from a carb to a (MSD)  TBI on his 37 Ford replica (SBC) and another friend did it in a 40's Ford sedan (454)
One thing I like about the TBI is the ability to scale up the engine HP (any of the Mummert upgrades)  in the future with a simple re-learn and reprogram. The MSD (as does the Sniper)  uses an exhaust oxy sensor so tuning is really easy since it's a stand alone system and doesn't require a computer  

You are right.  They are not "cheap" compared to a used or even a new carb.  But in the grand scheme,  the cost is small compared to the over all cost of a complete restore.

---------------------

famdoc3
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (398 reputation)Supercharged (398 reputation)Supercharged (398 reputation)Supercharged (398 reputation)Supercharged (398 reputation)Supercharged (398 reputation)Supercharged (398 reputation)Supercharged (398 reputation)Supercharged (398 reputation)

All of the naysayers can have they’re say but I’ve been running a dual quad replacement twin throttle body injection system and would never, never go back to twin teapots. It starts quickly even after weeks of inactivity, runs great warm or cold, and has low end torque like a big block. I have 2 g.m. Throttle bodies on home made adaptor plates controlled with an Accel Gen 7 computer, all fitted under an original 2x4 T’bird air cleaner virtually invisible to the observer but a pleasure to the driver.

Mike, still lovin his 57 t'bird after 50 years
HT32BSX115
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks Mike!   Your answer was exactly what I was looking for!  I know a few people that have put them on many non-FOMOCO engines replacing various carburetors and they've said the same thing!

I really wanted to hear from someone that has actually put one on a Y.  There's of course no reason to believe it would be any different on any engine.  They have models for just about any engine.  Including some 1 bbl models.  I think I have boiled it down to 2 models.  The Holley Sniper and the MSD (Holley) Atomic.   Both are around $1200 or so. 
One thing I have to consider is a high pressure fuel pump. 
One shop that has suggested the Sniper told me that I should use an in-tank pump because they're far more reliable than the external pumps.  Seems the external pumps run fairly hot and fail due to overheating.  I suppose I can use an in-tank pump.  I know they have kits to put in just about any tank configuration.

---------------------

famdoc3
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (398 reputation)Supercharged (398 reputation)Supercharged (398 reputation)Supercharged (398 reputation)Supercharged (398 reputation)Supercharged (398 reputation)Supercharged (398 reputation)Supercharged (398 reputation)Supercharged (398 reputation)

Mine is a long labor of love. Loved popping the hood and seeing the 2x4s there. Have for over 40 years. My search to replace the teapots started before there was any good aftermarket way to do it for the t’bird. I love a challenge and have a well equipped shop including a milling machine. I went to the junk yard found some G.M. Throttle bodies measured carefully and made the mounting plates so the spacing would work for my air cleaner. I then ordered an accel gen 7 computer system and got at it adapting the harness to fit. I was able to get a Walbro pump into my stock tank through the gas gauge hole. Never really like it that way. Ended up buying a custom stainless tank with provisions for an in tank pump. Last job is to have the gas gauge converted to the new sending unit. Over all cost was way more than reasonable but I’m very happy with the outcome. It starts right up no matter how long it sits and runs like a top. MIKE

Mike, still lovin his 57 t'bird after 50 years

Reading This Topic

Site Meter