Profile Picture

Lines on cylinder walls

Posted By 55 GLASS TOP 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hello I have been helping a friend assemble a 292 , I have noticed lines on the cylinder walls you can not feel them with your finger . They appeared after the piston was installed and the engine was rotated to install the next piston . The engine is 40 over with new pistons and matching rings there was no file work done on the rings so I do not thing there is a sharp edge.The cylinders and pistons were well oiled when they were installed. Like I said I do not feel the line but I am wondering what will happen when the engine is fired up. Every thing was very clean so I don’t think any debris is involved. Not all the cylinder show the lines. If I get a chance I will post some photos but quick search on the net I have found a lot of people complaining of marks on the cylinder walls after new rings and pistons were installed in freshly bored and honed engine. 

ponymare
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (86 reputation)Supercharged (86 reputation)Supercharged (86 reputation)Supercharged (86 reputation)Supercharged (86 reputation)Supercharged (86 reputation)Supercharged (86 reputation)Supercharged (86 reputation)Supercharged (86 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
I think the lines are made from the gap in the rings, unless deep enough to feel, nothing to worry about.
Joe-JDC
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
Ring ends should be dressed to remove any sharp edges, whether they are file to fit, or stock replacement.  There are always tiny burrs from the machine process.  Joe-JDC

JDC
Ted
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 5 days ago
Ditto on what Joe says.  The oil ring rails are notoriously bad about having sharp edges at their gap edges and the compression rings should also have their gap edges deburred or dressed even if they are being used as they come out of the package.  Assume nothing when dealing with new parts.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

55 GLASS TOP
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

I guess we will pull a few pistons and take a look two steps forward one step back....
Ted
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 5 days ago
Before pulling the pistons, mark the tops of them at the scratches so that you can locate the area on the piston sides after you pull them out.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

55 GLASS TOP
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Will do thanks,  Ted this engine has truly been a learning experience 

Reading This Topic

Site Meter