Profile Picture

Piston and rod installation

Posted By 55 GLASS TOP 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Ok today I was told by a “friend” I have installed my pistons and rods wrong . I installed them front to back in number sequence. He told me the rods get installed in firing order. Someone say it ain’t so thanks 
57RancheroJim
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
You should be fine as long as the right and left piston/rods are assembled correctly. If you tried to follow your friends reasoning #2 rod/piston would go into #5 hole, the rod would be backwards. I have never seen a Ford engine done that way..
Florida_Phil
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
When properly installed, the tangs on the rod caps that hold the rod bearings in place should all be pointed to the outside of the block.  Pistons may have a notch on the top. That notch goes to the front of the engine.

My advice would be to purchase a YBlock engine book before assembling your engine. I have an old dog eared copy by James Eickman that I have had for many years. The rings need to be properly staggered.  There may be instructions in the box with the rings.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

Ted
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 4 days ago
While installing the pistons and rods in a numerical sequence from front to rear is the GM numbering format, it’s fine on the Ford Y family of engines as long as all the pistons are orientated correctly and the connecting rod bearing tangs and/or rod numbers are all facing the outside of the engine and not towards the camshaft.  By design, the bearings are offset in the rods so that the bearings do not ride on the journal radius.  If the rods are installed with the numbers and/or bearing tangs facing inboard, then the bearing offset on the journal will be incorrect and create other problems.

The normal orientation on most Ford V8 engines is the rods and pistons being installed in their respective holes with cylinders 1-4 being on the right hand bank and cylinders 5-8 on the left hand bank.  For the Ford Y and the Flathead V8, this would put the #5 rod at the very front of the crankshaft followed by the #1 rod.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter