Profile Picture

Mollylube

Posted By 55 GLASS TOP 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hello when I assembled my 292 I coated the whole cam with Molly lubricant including the areas that ride in the bearings . I told a friend and he told me the cam lobes should get the moly and the bearing get oiled . I figured. In the prelube when I spin the oil pump with my drill I would lube the bearings . I have not started the engine yet it would not be a big deal for me to pull the cam and clean it just a few gaskets . Just looking for some opinions to pull the cam or not. Engine turns smooth as silk thanks again for GOOD information.
Ted
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 3 days ago
You don’t mention the brand of moly lube as that’s a consideration.  If it’s out of a grease gun, then that’s a big NO NO.  It’s a normal engine building practice to only use the camshaft manufacturers supplied moly lube on the lifter faces and the camshaft lobes.  All bearing surfaces should get some form of oil.  If only the camshaft bearing journals and none of the other bearing surfaces received a coating of moly lube, then I would personally leave the engine as it is.  If moly lube was used on the lifter shanks, then that is a problem as the moly lube there will inhibit the lifter rotation on initial startup.  If the moly lube was used on the lifter shanks and/or rod and main bearing surfaces, then I would consider tearing the engine back down and replace that moly lube with the appropriate assembly oil.  These are just my opinions so mix these up with the others you receive.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

55 GLASS TOP
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Well Ted I did hope you would reply. I used Crane Cams moly assembly lube not just grease . All the rest of the rotating assembly was put together with permeatex ultra slick engine assembly lube. The lifter bottoms were coated but not the sides because I also though about rotation of the lifter for the most part the whole cam was lubed with molly every other bearing I used ultra slick . I did put mollyon the cam thrust plate 
Ted
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 3 days ago
At this point, I would just continue forward, crank up the engine, and do the normal break-in procedure for the camshaft.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter