Profile Picture

Neoprene Main Seal

Posted By glrbird 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Has anyone changed to the neoprene seal on a 312 without polishing the seal area?  Or another way to say it, has anyone changed one without pulling the engine apart?

Gary Ryan San Antonio.TX.

miker
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I have, but that was to replace the "orange" seal that failed in under 500 miles. The seal area looked new, because it was.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
Cliff
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 7 hours ago
Yes, I used a Felpro 318 Chrysler seal that I trimmed, still good after 26 years.
glrbird
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

All good info. thanks, I think I will give it a shot!

Ted
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
Yes and Yes in answer to your two questions.  If you are talking about the ‘hash’ marks, I’ve no issue in leaving them in place for the neoprene seals.  In reference to polishing the rear seal surface for reasons other than the hash marks, it depends upon what that seal surface looks like in regards to pitting, roughness, scratches, wear, etc..  Here’s the link to a post last year about a neoprene seal in a 292 that was giving trouble which has the same pitfalls as the neoprene seals in the 312 engines.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/FindPost145797.aspx

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

glrbird
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks Ted

Reading This Topic

Site Meter