Profile Picture

Power steering - 56 TBird

Posted By joey 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (255 reputation)Supercharged (255 reputation)Supercharged (255 reputation)Supercharged (255 reputation)Supercharged (255 reputation)Supercharged (255 reputation)Supercharged (255 reputation)Supercharged (255 reputation)Supercharged (255 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hello gentlemen,

I have a 56 TBird. About 1-1/2 years ago I noticed it was leaking power steering fluid, quite a fair amount, so I replaced 4 hoses with new ones. The system still leaked, but the leak seemed lesser, the steering was equivalent left and right, and it worked well (except for the leak). I don't have a lift, and I am not a young man any more, so it was easier for me to top it up as needed than to crawl underneath and start all over again. Then last week I heard a noise as I was making a hard right turn at about 5 mph while simultaneously hitting a bump in the road. I lost power steering immediately. Fortunately I was only a short distance away and carefully nursed it home. I had blown the pressure line that emanates from the pump reservoir. It blew right at the coupling where it goes through the rubber sleeve mounted in a bracket on the inner fender.

I cleaned it up and ordered a new hose from Gates, along with a new filter element, and new gasket for the reservoir lid. Today I replaced them, and filled the reservoir with Type F with the correct amount according to the dipstick. Then, front wheels still dangling, I slowly worked the steering all the way to one lock and then the other to remove any air, but I didn't see any bubbles like you would when bleeding brakes. Then started the engine and did the same, lock to lock, under power. It performed fine, but when I checked more closely I saw thet it had burped fluid out the fill cap hole, enough to make it noticeable around the engine bay and on the floor. Upon removing the fill cap and slowly working the steering wheel lock to lock (with engine off) I now hear a discernible gurgling coming from below, while at the same time I can see the fluid rise up quickly in the reservoir toward the fill hole, even when turning the steering wheel very slowly. So there's something wrong.

It occurs to me that this might be a blown seal in the ram. But would that induce the fluid to rise up this drastically even when the system is unpowered?

Since the steering was performing equilaterally, I figured the control valve was probably OK. But I'm not real well versed on this so of course I'm not sure. I can't be up top and under the car at the same time, and I don't have anybody to help me right now, so it's kind of hard for me to properly diagnose much, other than what I've written down here. So any thoughts or advice would be very welcome.
paul2748
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
There have been some problems in getting the correct filter.  Some are not big enough and allows fluid to escape.  Not that familiar with the power steering units so I can't really help other than this.  Not even sure this is the problem

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

PF Arcand
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Not sure if this has any bearing on the current situation, but does the book on the T.bird specify Type "F" fluid?  Use of it in the Fordomatics has been a common error. It works but isn't the recommended fluid.. 

Paul
joey
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (255 reputation)Supercharged (255 reputation)Supercharged (255 reputation)Supercharged (255 reputation)Supercharged (255 reputation)Supercharged (255 reputation)Supercharged (255 reputation)Supercharged (255 reputation)Supercharged (255 reputation)

Hi, thanks for the input.
I am going to try it with filter removed from the reservoir for a brief test.
The Ford manual from 1956 says to use ATF Type A, which is difficult if not impossible to get. I have read in multiple places that Type F is of a thicker viscosity than conventional power steering fluid, and as such is an acceptable substitute for Type A. 

oldcarmark
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 9 days ago
The replacement for Type "A" is Dexron III. Thats what I used in my Transmission and power Steering.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
KULTULZ
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
The replacement for Type "A" is Dextron III

Correct. TYPE F was not introduced until the 1968 model run. It has different friction modifiers and is not correct for TYPE A / DEXRON applications. I believe the only application now is some type of motorcycle / ATV gear box.

KULTULZ
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

OP -

There will be a complete diagnosis chart/sequence in the correct year FORD SHOP MANUAL.

joey
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thank you gentlemen. Dexron it will be.

Here is one of the sources I had reference to:

http://ctcc9.blogspot.com/2008/09/tech-tip-power-steering-fluid.html

KULTULZ
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

This poster has it correct -

CarDoc2020said...
Trans fluid school part 2. Type F (and the later FA [also blue B&M fluid]) is NOT compatible with Type A and the later Dexrons: the coefficient of friction modifiers are opposite. Ford designed Type F be sticky for a crisp, positive shift whereas GM designed Dexron to be slippery for a smooth shift. Never mix the two as the different friction modifiers, acting against each other, will cause the friction material to be ripped from the clutch discs in short order. I don't know what that will do to power steering seals but probably not good!! TimW456@aol.com

KULTULZ
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I heard a noise as I was making a hard right turn at about 5 mph while simultaneously hitting a bump in the road. I lost power steering immediately. Fortunately I was only a short distance away and carefully nursed it home. I had blown the pressure line that emanates from the pump reservoir. It blew right at the coupling where it goes through the rubber sleeve mounted in a bracket on the inner fender.

Was the reservoir completely empty when checked? You may have burned the pump. Is there any assist now with fluid added?

Reading This Topic

Site Meter