Profile Picture

Fordomatic leaking badly

Posted By PF Arcand 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
My 57 Fordomatic is leaking badly. Have put up with it for some time because it drives fine, but it's leaking really badly at the front & from the side linkage. Do I understand that it may be the front pump that is leaking when it's that bad?  What is involved if that's the case?  Are parts available ?  Info appreciated. 

Paul
oldcarmark
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I had similar problem with mine. I replaced the Front Pump Seal,. O-Ring between Pump and Transmission Case, ,2 O-Rings in the Convertor, , and the Shifter Arm Seal. No more Leaks. The Pump Seal and Shifter Arm Seal is available through your local Parts Store.Same Ones used on later Ford Automatics. The Shifter Arm Seal is a Seal and an O-Ring. To change the Shifter Arm Seal the Shifter Arm has to be removed. Involves taking the Control Valve out. Not Rocket Science to do it but a Fordomatic Manual is very helpful.. I also replaced the Pump Support Bushing. If that's worn the replacement Seal will leak eventually. Bushing is cheap but I would suggest having it pressed on by a Machine Shop.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
mjs
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
I have the Fordomatic shop manual that I have scanned.  Let me know if you need a copy.  It does have an excellent troubleshooting guide.  

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/1d5b145a-1c57-4c0d-8bd1-fba5.jpg
PF Arcand
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Thanks people...now if I can find someone willing to tackle it. I don't have a hoist, enough work room & so on, to work with it. Should also tackle the rear engine seal while it's apart..

Paul

Reading This Topic

Site Meter