Profile Picture

1956 Ford F100 Midland power brakes

Posted By cokefirst 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
I am in the process of restoring a 1956 Ford F100.  I have the factory parts books and they show that the Midland power brake booster was an option on the F100 for 1956.  There is also some information in the 1956 Ford Truck Shop Manual about repairs.  Interestingly, there is no part number listed for the bracket, flexible brake hose or any other components of the installation.  I have owned a 1956 Ford F100 in one form or another since the late 1960's but have NEVER seen one with factory power brakes.  I know this is a long shot, but does anyone have a photo of a stock set up?  I would like to install this in the truck as close to original as possible.  Thanks in advance for any assistance.  
KULTULZ
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
I have the factory parts books and they show that the Midland power brake booster was an option on the F100 for 1956.  There is also some information in the 1956 Ford Truck Shop Manual about repairs.  Interestingly, there is no part number listed for the bracket, flexible brake hose or any other components of the installation. 

It appears the ILL page was left out of the FINAL EDITION 1964 for whatever reason. You would need to find an earlier printings).

Are you wanting OEM or possibly thinking about an upgrade?

cokefirst
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)

I have some extra Midland power brake units, I just want to see the set up so I can match it as closely as possible.  I have 4 Thunderbirds with Power brakes, and I am very familiar with the working of that system, however there is no part number for the brake hose from the midland unit to the brake block or any diagrams of the vacuum line or hard line from the master cylinder to the power brake unit.  A photo of the factory installation would be a huge help.  They must have been put on a few trucks but I have never seen one.  I have looked at shows casually for years. 
KULTULZ
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

The only thing I can think of is the option was not that popular. I found the PN on the booster itself, but no associated parts. There is nothing (that I can find) in the ILL Section either.

The 1948-56 TRUCK MPC FINAL ISSUE was printed in 1964 so you would have to find an earlier edition to hopefully find the info.

The booster operates the same as a 55/57 BIRD? There was a flexible brake line between the MC and slave cylinder?

EDIT -

I found the description in my 1954-445 TRUCK SHOP MANUAL Pg 205

Also, below is an ILL that while not an F-100 installation, will show somewhat a close installation (1948/52 B-F750).

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/cfa91156-4a22-430e-ac04-c036.jpg

FORD ILL are a modification of engineering diagrams and only show enough to give the PARTS DUDE BASIC PN references.

cokefirst
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thank you very much for that information, but that booster was used on the heavier trucks (according to the parts book),  The Midland is the same one use on the Thunderbird and Ford passenger prior to year 1957 which used the KH bellows system.  I am familiar with the routing on the Thunderbird as I own 4 of the early birds all with power brakes.  I am just trying to make this installation as close as possible to the stock system.  You are correct that it is rare, but there must be at least a few of them produced with the option.  I am just hoping to find some information to make the installation as close to stock as possible.  I do appreciate your help!!  Dan
KULTULZ
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Maybe go here - https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/

You will be exposed to much more traffic. And if you find the answer, please post it here also.

cokefirst
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I am a member of that forum and have posted there.  I will see if I get any assistance.  

Reading This Topic

Site Meter