Profile Picture

Rear Disc Brake Conversion for 1955 Fairlane

Posted By CobraKY 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Because of the clearance between the rear springs and the Axle Face, mine is 6 9/16” and I need to narrow the differential housing 1 inch, what rear disc brakes will work inside of the 5 1/2” clearance that will be left.
Thanks
CobraKY
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)

miker
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I'm not exactly sure what you're asking or why you're narrowing the rear end, but I used these guys for rear disc on the Dana 44 (truck version) on my 55 bird. Very knowledgeable, all worked well, took a little while to deliver, as they made them up.

Which rear end are you narrowing? The original?

https://www.classicdiscbrakes.com/main.sc

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
CobraKY
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

I am narrowing a 57 Ford Nine inch, 3/4 - 1.0” per side, so I can get my 225-70-15’s under the fender wells.
Thanks, will check them out.
miker
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Way easier with a 9" than the original or a Dana. I got 235-60's on 7" rims under the back of the bird by using wheels with a 4" backspace. I also had 10" cheaters on it with 4" backspace, 7" rims, on the original centers. No skirts. Not sure about a pass car.

miker
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
Rono
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
What will you do for a parking brake with the disk brake set-up?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

miker
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Ron, there's a couple ways to address that. I had a set of 70's GM calipers on the rear and they had a parking brake. Never could get it to work very well (like at all). Everyone I talked to who ever worked on them (repair facilities, dealership) hated them because it was so difficult to get them adjusted till the parking brake application worked. The current rears on my bird are a fairly late model Mustang and they work ok. But they're made for a "pull up" handle, and it's tough to get the "umbrella" handle on the bird pulled hard enough to set them. But it's ok, and part of it's my bad back, I just can't apply the strength I used to.

Wilwood list some with the brake for the rear now.

The GM ones, best I can remember.

Wilwood

d

miker
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
Rono
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Mike;
That's good information. I wasn't sure what was available and what worked best. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

CobraKY
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Yes, Looking at Quick Performance, the Disc Brake Conversion is from a Ford Explorer, 11 inch rotor, single caliper, uses the drum type emergency brake that hooks up pretty easy to the factory emergency brake hardware.
Image result for Ford 9 Inch Rear Explorer Disc Brake Kit With Shoe Style Park Brake
Rono
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

NICE!!

Reading This Topic

Site Meter