Profile Picture

Offy intake manifolds

Posted By 30 coupe 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Does anyone know, did offy make it's 3x2 intake in 2 different models, that is did they make a small port for the early heads and a larger port for the later heads?  If they did , do they have a way to tell them apart , other than actually looking at the ports in person. I have one on my 30' coupe, and I suspect that it is the small port manifold.  I also suspect that I have a vac. leak as it seems that the ports do not match.   The eng has C1TE  heads on it ( I know , not the best, but what I had at the time ) and a offy 3x2 intake. the intake has no markings other than Offenhauser on it. have any of you guys successfully used an offy manifold on later heads?  Thanks for any information anyone can provide.  I have a set of offy Valve covers on the eng. and like the look of having the same brand of intake on it.  The manifold and the intake are powder coated black with gold lettering.    Thanks for any help/ comments/ suggestions.-----Jim
pintoplumber
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
I had a small port offy on my 239. There was a 4 digit number stamped on the underside. I don't know if it was a serial number or a model number. I also have a big port offy on the shelf that has a number stamped on the underside. I remember the 2 numbers were different.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/3047f5ac-add1-4e79-a3ed-14ea.jpg  Dennis in Lititz PA
PF Arcand
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
When Ted @ Eaton Balancing,  tested 7 Tri- power intakes for Y-Blocks, there was no mention of more than one Offy model at the time or after by anyone. Assuming that is correct info, (published here & in Y-Block magazine) it was clear that the Offy intake was definately "last" in overall power. Its not worth installing.   An ECZ - B 4 Bbl intake is likely as good or better & less trouble prone. And can be altered as shown in Y-Block magazine to work better than stock..
N.B.- Historically of course, the name Offenhauser is famous.. however, the  3 carb intakes were apparently not designed or built by the shop of the original Fred Offenhauser, but later by a shop owned by his nephew of the same name. There was a law suite re the use of the name, but the results didn't really clarify the issues very well...            

Paul
Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
All the Ford Y Offenhauser 3X2 intakes being used in dyno tests here at Eaton Balancing were the large port design.  A small port Offy intake has not been tested.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

30 coupe
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)

Ted, thank you for clearing up the facts of there being a small, and a large port offy manifold, and which one was used in the testing.                                                          PF Arcand,   Thank you for the background info on the manifolds.
DryLakesRacer
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

I had one few years ago. With adapters and a lot of work installed 3 Rochester 2GC’s on it. I almost took a hole saw to the carb ports to open it all up because was not a good performer. Ran it once, another problem showed up and went to dual quads. Sold the unit for $1K.
There is a Buick guy online that makes changes to the Offy for the nail head with great results. I’m guessing he opens up the lower plenum so every doesn’t need to make a 180 at the end of the top plenum.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
30 coupe
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Well, I have purchased a used Edelbrock  573 with carbs, linkage and air cleaners.  ( I know the stuff is not available new ) I am expecting it to arrive just before or after Christmas.  I will be getting rid of the Offenhauser manifold. I will get things set-up and swapped out over the winter. I am just wondering how much improvement I can expect and what I will actually feel in the "seat of the pants"   
Joe-JDC
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
Have you read the Intake Comparison Test of the Offenhauser 3 X 2 intake and Edelbrock in Y Block Magazine?  It is posted on Ted Eaton's site.  The Edelbrock 573 in stock configuration on a 400 hp engine was 46.8 Hp better than the stock Offenhauser, and ~30 hp better than the ported Offenhauser.  Check out Ted's web site for the complete read on the dyno tests if you have not done so.   Go to links above.   Joe-JDC 

JDC
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
Maybe in the ballpark of 9% improvement overall, based on Ted's testing.  You're going from what is very likely the worst 3x2 to what is very likely the best 3x2.  It should be noticeable.

http://www.eatonbalancing.com/2013/12/18/y-block-ford-3x2-intake-testing/

Lawrenceville, GA
Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Here’s the link to the 3X2 Offenhauser and Edelbrock testing performed by Joe Craine.

http://www.eatonbalancing.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/YBlock-146-Craine-3X2-Test.pdf

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter