Profile Picture

POWER STEERING FOR '56 FAIRLANE

Posted By Tim Quinn 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Trying to convert '56 Fairlane to power steering
Want to know where to look for the best set- up.
Standard Arm Strong steering now.\]
Thanks in advance,
Tim
Wrinkle City, FL 33706
Lou
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Why not use an original style 54 thru 56 power steering set up?

miker
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 5 days ago
Having done a r&p conversion on my bird, I'd second Lou's suggestion. Finding the original parts is well with the effort, a good rebuilt box with the ram set up works just fine.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
Gene Purser
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)

The integral box that Borgeson makes will take a little more installation effort but will be a more modern box with a quicker steering ratio. 
https://www.borgeson.com/xcart/home.php?cat=117
DryLakesRacer
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
If you find someone who took off "EVERYTHING" it would be good. There are hose brackets and the slave cylinder mounts that are really important.
Personally you need to know why it was taken off. I had my control valve rebuilt twice and it still leaked. I finally did it myself with a seal kit from a guy in central California that sold "quad seals" to fix it correctly. My slave went out after 7 years and I bought a replacement for it after trying to repair it with 3 different types of seals and kits.
The modern replacement means cutting the column and a totally new steering box and if your ready for that ok. A shop in Orange, California is pretty good at it and has done 2 of my friends. One even kept the stick shift on the column. Which was a pain for them. Good luck.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
Tim Quinn
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)

Borgenson was my first choice. Found competitive prices on eBay.
But now, the fact that the car is a stick shift with OD might be more of a problem.
Cutting the steering column might be more than we bargained for in this operation.
What are you thoughts on that issue ?
Tim
45 degree, FL 33706
Tim Quinn
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks for you input about Power Steering for a '56 Crown.
There was never any P/S or P/B on the car when it left the factory back in '55 or '56.
It came with THREE ON THE TREE and O/D.
Finding an original P/S unit is going to be hard and I understand that the HUNT is what
it is all about with these classics.
Maybe it will remain stock, it is good exercise truing the wheel when parking and leaving the
parking spot. Going down the road is a piece of cake, it handles effortlessly.
Thanks,
Tim
Waiting Room for Heaven
Florida 33706 
kevink1955
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)

The Borgensen box requires so much shorting of the column that the shift levers wind up inside the car, I have yet to see anyone make this work.

Here is what I did to add PS to my 56 Fairlane with 3 speed on the column

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic112422.aspx
Tim Quinn
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Most interesting approach to my problem,
Thanks, Mate for your information and experience,
Tim
Florida USA 33706
DryLakesRacer
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

There is a complete 1956 PS system listed in the FOMOCO Times (Crown Victoria Association) for sale in NY. 

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter