Profile Picture

Door latching mechanism removal

Posted By DryLakesRacer 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I'm trying to to remove the driver door latching mechanism from my 1956 Victoria. The body shop which painted the car had the door handle off and there is overspray clogging it up. I have the Ford manual and did had it out for repairs 7 years ago but cannot get it out this time. The lock is removed along with the internal arm from the inside handle and even a vertical window stop.

The manual give a lot about the window but it appears to be talking about a sedan style and not a Vic. Cleaning/lubing it in place has not worked. 

Any Ideas? I know I'm missing something as I don't remember it being this difficult. Thanks, 

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
I just did both Latches on my Convert which is the same as Victoria. U will have to undo the outer Window Run  and drop it out of the way to get the Latch out. Door Glass has to come out. The Latch will not come out with the Glass Run in place. They don't tell U this in the Shop Manual.There is a nut at the Top and Bottom of the Run on the inside door Panel  and one accessed on the end of the Door. The Picture in the Shop Manual Page 301 shows these.Mine was even harder because of the Power Window Motors making it difficult to get hands inside door to release the Window Rollers and then put back together. You will need to remove the 2 upper Window Stops to get glass out. Removing the Lower Stop will allow the Glass to drop lower for releasing the Window Rollers as shown in Shop Manual.  By the way there are new Repro Door Latches available and  I was very impressed with the Quality. I bought 2 to replace the worn out originals.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
DryLakesRacer
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Thanks...I was afraid of that. ....... After looking I can see that the edge glass slider needs to either move down out of the way or come out completly as the latch needs to move into the door the depth of the star. I decided to do a better cleaning job from the outer push button hole. I could see the problem where the primer and paint were gumming up the push in arm and it was slow to return or not returning at all causing my door nor to latch closed. I used some brake clean with a nozzle on the pivot and it worked really good but after drying would slow down again. I locksmith gave me a product to use on keys so it sprayed a small amount on the pivot it's working very good without sticking or hanging up at all I'm going to watch it for a few days to make sure. 
I'm glad there are repos of these being made...Thanks for that info.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter