Profile Picture

rocker arm to valve stem alignment

Posted By mikeT 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (124 reputation)Supercharged (124 reputation)Supercharged (124 reputation)Supercharged (124 reputation)Supercharged (124 reputation)Supercharged (124 reputation)Supercharged (124 reputation)Supercharged (124 reputation)Supercharged (124 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hi!
While assembling my rocker shafts,  I have noticed that the alignment of some rockers are not centered on the rocker arm pads at the valve stem. 
If I double up on the washers between the rocker arm and the stands I can get a much better alignment on these cylinders.
my cam will have around .500 lift. Is this alignment needed or doesnt it matter?
If it is important where can i buy more washers? the shafts are .781" diameter , so 3/4" machine washers are too small and 7/8" are too loose.
Cant find a way to open the thin washers up to .781"
Thanks! Mike 
KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 8 days ago
I have noticed that the alignment of some rockers are not centered on the rocker arm pads at the valve stem. 

Believe it or not, that is the way it was designed. Notice the extra fat rocker arm to stem pad. If it is going to be a HI-RPM engine, there are offset roller rockers available. And if you offset shim the rockers too much, you will lose correct push-rod alignment.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/3bc530bb-a108-4623-8ca7-5324.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/f0a65227-d54d-4740-85f9-475e.jpg

Joe-JDC
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I have used valve spring shims that fit rocker arm shafts to move the rocker arms to better center them over the stem.  Moved some of the rocker arms with two or three shims, and works quite well.  No issue with push rods.  Increases spring tension, which is a good thing.  Joe-JDC

JDC
mikeT
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (124 reputation)Supercharged (124 reputation)Supercharged (124 reputation)Supercharged (124 reputation)Supercharged (124 reputation)Supercharged (124 reputation)Supercharged (124 reputation)Supercharged (124 reputation)Supercharged (124 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Thanks! Joe.
Thats exactly what I have found 
I will check to see if I can find valve spring shims?
blocky
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
recently shimmed my rocker arms across and all is well 
MattsY
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
If you have, have access to or know someone that has a lathe, it's a pretty simple operation to turn a few shims.
paul2748
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
On most stock Y's, the rocker arms were not in perfect alignment with the valve stems.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Reading This Topic

Site Meter