Other brand engines needed aux oilers to the rocker arms

Posted By junkyardjeff 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Other brand engines needed aux oilers to the rocker arms

Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 days ago
I needed a pair of valve cover studs for a 216 should let lay and took them off a 53 and it had a oil line from the oil pressure port to the head,that engine had not been taken care of and was a mess and could see why it was needed.

Butchering up everything I can get my hands on in Dayton Ohio
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
I assume you are talking about a 216 scrub six.  If that oil line is under the valve cover, GM has used that line since about 1929 to oil the rockers on their sixes.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
darrell
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

kits were made for the early scruby 6.i remember one fellow driving one he would soak a rag in oil and lay it on the rockers.he just had a couple screws holding the cover on as he had to soak the rag every day.
junkyardjeff
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)

This line was not under the valve cover but outside of the head going down to where the oil pressure gauge hooked to,those engines have a plug to check for oil flow to the rockers on the outside of the head and that is where it was hooked too. I rebuilt a 57 235 and got no oil to the top at first and I had to grind a slot in the head bolt so it would get oil and then drilled a head bolt,that engine has developed crank issues and will come apart to fix and will pull the head to see what went wrong.

junkyardjeff
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I do not mess with scrub V8s but will tinker with any old straight six.

darrell
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

i remember the head bolt thing but never knew what they were talking about.
junkyardjeff
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I think it has a tube from the side cover area to near where the center head bolt is to feed oil up to the rockers and probably something wrong there or possibly a wrong head gasket blocking the flow,I will know when I get it apart and wondering if its also the cause of the crank looking like it got starved for oil.  Less the 15,000 on the rebuild and all the rod bearings were down to copper and the crank scored,put new bearings in and put it togather and got a low mile 235 to go in.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter