Profile Picture

I-beam connecting rods from Mummert

Posted By jimcar-9 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (217 reputation)Supercharged (217 reputation)Supercharged (217 reputation)Supercharged (217 reputation)Supercharged (217 reputation)Supercharged (217 reputation)Supercharged (217 reputation)Supercharged (217 reputation)Supercharged (217 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Hello guys

In the process of assembling my 272 for an 1956 F100.

But I noticed the I beam connecting rods do not have the oil sling hole to squirt lube to the piston pin and underside of piston. I guess it's due to the fact they want to increase strength of the connecting rod, but is it ok to go without one?

Is that correct?

Best regards Jimmy Carlsson, Fagersta (Sweden) Ford F100 1956, 272 , 3 manual with OD
Follow my restoration on http://dinnerhillspeedshop.blogspot.se/
Joe-JDC
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
Holes not necessary with pressed fit pins in stock style rebuild.  If you have custom pistons designed for floating pins, then drill a hole for pin oiling.   Joe-JDC

JDC
FORD DEARBORN
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
It's been about 5 years and aprox. 14,000 miles when I made a 312 out of a 64 292. Purchased 312 I-beam rods (Probe) from J. Mummert that had no oil holes top and bottom used with  standard stock Solv O Lite pistons. No issues, no problems at all. Hope this helps, JEFF..............

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
darrell
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
did you leave the pins full floating.
FORD DEARBORN
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Yes I did. I used the pistons with the pins and retainers as supplied. The stock cast SolvOlite pistons may have an oil hole on the upper side of the wrist pin bore as many pistons do. It's been several years and I don't remember if these pistons had them. I did mention to John M.  my concern in regards to the lack of oil holes and was told it won't be an issue and it wasn't. At least not in my case. Hope this helps, JEFF...........

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
darrell
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
thanks i used a set of 54 rods years ago they have the squirt hole on the opposite side.i used them on a 292 so was a little concerned if the oil would hit the right place.anyway since you had no holes at all no problem.
FORD DEARBORN
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

After giving this more thought, I believe Joe-JDC has the best idea to add an oil hole at the small end anyways.  I found a photo of the box the rods came in but unfortunately not of the rods. I realize I could possibly have forgotten that an oil hole was at the wrist pin end and don't want to provide any incorrect information.  I do however remember there was NO oil squirt hole at the large end.  Perhaps someone with experience with this particular rod and a longer term memory could comment?http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/406cec5b-80c7-4841-a089-365b.jpg

64F100 57FAIRLANE500

Reading This Topic

Site Meter