Profile Picture

Cold natured 56 Vic

Posted By geo56 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
I drive my 56 Victoria every day with its 292 and Holly 450 CFM 4 barrel with manual choke and Fordomatic. Lately on these 20-25 degree mornings It fires right up and drives away fine without warmup with the choke pulled out about 1/3 of the way. Runs fine until I stop at a stoplight after about 5 miles . Gen light starts to flash and I have to do a brake stand to keep it running. Same with the choke in or out.  Idle is very rough. However, after work when the temp is in the 50's it drives home fine and idles fine at stops. I cleaned the plugs and installed a new cap and roter but it didn,t help . I wonder if the petronix ignition after 45000 miles is affected by the cold or if the fuel pump or carb need replaced. Carb was rebuilt about 2 years ago and is not leaking. Any help will be appreciated before I throw more money at it.
darrell
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: 47 minutes ago
do you have a heat riser on the manifold

geo56
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)

I believe I replaced it with a blank  and figured while having a manual choke it wasn't needed.
Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Automatic chokes were standard equipment on the 4V engines but the 2V engines received a manual choke.  Those heat riser valves were required exactly for the conditions you are experiencing.  The manifold needs to be thoroughly heated up to help vaporize the fuel and prevent carburetor icing.  What you are experiencing is an intake manifold that’s just not heated up enough to vaporize the fuel and you may have some carb icing also taking place.  The dew point plays into the icing issue.  You either have to live with it, or reinstall the heat riser.  My vote is to live with it knowing that the problem goes away when the engine is thoroughly warmed up.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

geo56
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks Ted. I replaced that heat riser with the blank spacer thinking that I would prolong muffler life. Following your line of thinking, eliminating the heat riser valve might also be the reason I can't start my Vic on a cold morning and walk away from it for 10 minutes while it warms up without returning to it to find it flooding. As even colder weather is on the way, I think I'll reinstall the valve. Does my dual exhaust car only use a valve on the passenger side and none on the other?
NoShortcuts
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
geo56.  Yes.  Passenger side only for the heat riser.

Hope this helps!   Smile

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I can't start my Vic on a cold morning and walk away from it for 10 minutes while it warms up without returning to it to find it flooding

None of my business, but ...

Bad practice. Loading the engine with carbon, washing the cylinder walls and diluting the motor oil.

Maybe consider an electric choke to allow you to let it warm?

FORD DEARBORN
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
This thread raises a question for me: Did the HD truck 292 equipped with ram horn manifolds have a heat valve in the exhaust system? 

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
PF Arcand
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
Geo56: You may find it difficult to get a heat rizer from some Parts outfits. I checked with the biggest independent parts oufit in Vancouver B.C. recently & was told they were not longer listed.  Also tried NAPA in my area & they don't stock them anymore. You may have to go thru Mac's or some similar Ford parts outfit & they want $75.00 U.S. + shipping for one.. That's well over $120 total in Canada.. 

N.B.- re carb base heat.. If anyone also wants to use a regular heated choke setup, you need to check your intake manifold to ascertain if the choke heat feed tube in the crossover,  is still functional, as due to age the tube can be rusted out & need replacing...    

Paul
geo56
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I ordered a NOS FOMOCO  one off Ebay on Saturday and it arrived on Monday in the original box. Was more than $75.00 but I feel confident it will work as new. 

Reading This Topic

Site Meter