Profile Picture

Y-Block harmonic balance

Posted By Lawrence Petty 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Have a 59 or 60 Ford 292 y-block.  It has been rebuilt.  However when I tighten the harmonic balance to 95# everything locks up.  However if I take the harmonic balancer off and then turn the crank then all turns OK.  So wondering what areas to check to determine why it is locking up.  
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
The damper is most likely hitting something on the outside of the engine, a bent bracket, loose bolt, bolt with too many washers under it, etc.

Lawrenceville, GA
Cliff
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Hi, it's  most likely hitting the timing cover 
oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 7 days ago
Lawrence Petty (11/14/2019)
Have a 59 or 60 Ford 292 y-block.  It has been rebuilt.  However when I tighten the harmonic balance to 95# everything locks up.  However if I take the harmonic balancer off and then turn the crank then all turns OK.  So wondering what areas to check to determine why it is locking up.  

Is the Damper original to Motor or are You using One from another Motor. Some Dampers have different Lengths.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
Lawrence Petty
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)

The damper has stamped on it FORD and ECG 63 and appears in excellent shape.  The damper came with the rebuilt engine and can only assume its correct.  Was not on engine when I received it.  The timing cover has the oil seal and the damper doesn't appear to be hitting the timing cover.  However there is quite a gap between end of crank and outside surface of the balancer where washer hits when torqued down ... not sure if this is normal as this is the first y-block I've had.  So I have no way of telling if the damper is the correct length, if the crank is the correct length as these engines were used in quite a few of the Ford and Mercury products.  I can only assume the damper is hitting the timing gear and forcing it against the block when torqued ... that is why I asked about the space between the end of the crank and the outside surface of the damper where the bolt washer is.  I'm in a small town in New Mexico and not finding anyone familiar with these engines.  Do I need to get the end of the damper machined down so its shorter so when torqued down the end of the crank and end of the balancer are more in alignment so not to put so much pressure on the timing gear.  Frustrating, as I'm retired on fixed income, am not a mechanic, assumed a rebuilt engine was ok and just needed to be installed and need help getting this resolved as I'd like to get this rebuilt engine correct so I can get it back in my truck as I would like to see this truck running.  I see there are very few places to get a harmonic balancer and they are costly and no way of telling if I will still have the same problem.  Any help is appreciated as I'm not getting any younger.
Lawrence Petty
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Yes, the damper pulley, the generator pulley and water pump pulley seem to align up correctly for the belt.  So questionable about shortening the damper
Lawrence Petty
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Just measured some distances.  From flat of crank timing gear to end of crank is approximately 3-1/16" and the inside length of the harmonic balancer is 3-7/16" - so thats a gap of 3/8".  So is this normal?
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
The crank is recessed within the damper when installed correctly.  If it was not, the damper would remain loose.  This came up in the facebook group recently In that instance, .220" was the gap.  Another clue to the proper install will be that all of the pulleys line up.

When everything is in specification, the block cannot get sandwiched between the cam gear and crank.  If that is actually happening, then you have more serious issues to correct.  A correct damper does not need to be machined.  I don't know if there even is another damper from another engine that is similar enough to be confused.

Make sure it is not hitting anything on the outside.  Post a picture of the damper, if you can.

Lawrenceville, GA
Joe-JDC
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

A couple of things come to mind.  How were you holding the crankshaft when torqueing the damper bolt?  Is the flywheel installed?  Are the bolts for the flywheel too long and engaging the rear main seal housing?  I have a 292 where the bolts were too long and hit the back of the rear main seal housing.  Also, did you remove the object used to hold the flywheel after you torqued the bolt?  Simply installing the damper should not engage anything to stop rotation of the crankshaft.  Also, remove the fuel pump and look into the timing cover and see if there is anything to hinder the crankshaft rotating.  Was the fuel pump arm under the eccentric , or over it?   Joe-JDC

JDC
oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 7 days ago
Is the Oil Slinger facing the correct way? The "small" side faces the Timing gear with the Big End covering the Oi Seal. Just a thought?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg

Reading This Topic

Site Meter