Profile Picture

Sept-Oct Y Block Magazine Article

Posted By Joe-JDC 5 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 1 hour ago
I was totally surprised yesterday morning with a USPS package on my front door mat from Bruce Young with several copies of Y Block Magazine.  I had no idea that there was an article going to be written on the Eaton Balancing/Craine Porting 303 cubic inch Y for this year's EMC.  I want to publicly thank Ted for all his help with this engine, and my only regret is that with this being possibly the last year for EMC, that the little engine was down 24 hp from when we left Texas.  If we could have found those horsepower and torque numbers in Ohio, the outcome would have been much better for the Y against the more modern, yet vintage engines.  Ted fabricated several items for our build, and we tried some things that were definitely pushing the envelope, but came away with a Y Block that produced 1.5 hp/cubic inch, and it held its own against some sharp engine builders from all over the USA.  Thank you Y Block Magazine, and thank you Ted Eaton for the article and all your help.  Joe-JDC

I meant to post this in This and That section, sorry. JDC

JDC
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 1 hour ago
Moved to This n That.

The Y did great, considering the handicap of no roller cam.  At this point, anyone who wants to claim that it's not a good engine simply has their head in the sand and they aren't going to be convinced.

Lawrenceville, GA
suede57ford
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
1.5 hp/cubic inch!   Very impressive results!

Competing in Engine Masters has to be difficult, expensive, and time consuming. All the effort and hours of testing you guys do to figure out how to make these motors run good in a repeatable recipe benefits all of us in the future.

Joe and Ted, Thank you for everything you do to the Y-Block to make it the best  performance motor it can be.

Pat Fleischman

Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 4 days ago
I have had several people already call about the article in the Y-Block Magazine (issue #154) as I hadn’t received my copy yet.  I just received my issue #154 yesterday.

Thanks to all for the kudos.  It was a joint effort between Joe and me so accolades also go towards Joe.  He put in a lot of work in porting four sets of heads and several intake manifolds.  There was a lot of information learned from the intake and head porting and that was what made the difference.  The 303” Y ran good and even with the 233/240 @ 050 camshaft, the engine still idled at an extremely low speed.  The engine is going back on the dyno in the near future to answer some of the questions that have come up while also testing some new parts that are available.  Here are a couple of pics of that 303” Y.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/579cf884-1b6d-4b1b-b45e-ed4b.jpg 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/eeca35a4-3e8d-4e38-a47c-38c4.jpg 

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter