Profile Picture

Holley Carb recomendation.

Posted By slumlord444 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 12 hours ago

After tinkering with my swap meet 750 Holly this morning I have decided to bite the bullet and buy a new carb. My engine is a copy of the engine Ted built that was in the March-April Y Block magazine. He used a Holly 750HP List 80529-1. This is basicly a race carb and more money than I really want to spend. My car is a '57 T Bird that will mostly be a street car but I plan to race it occasionaly and want to get as much out of it as I can on the track. Concensus here seems to be to stay away from double pumpers. Vaccum secondaries are a must. I would like to be have switchable secondary jets but its not a necessity. An acquaintence likes the Quick Fuel carbs. Holly 4150 or 4160 possibly? Suggestions from the experts here please.

Cliff
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 15 hours ago
I always like a 3310 Holley, what's wrong with your swap meet carb? 
slumlord444
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

I've had a mid range surge I haven't been able to get rid of. Having problems getting float levels right and managed to strip the threads out of the primary float bowl where the needle and seat threads in. The 3310 is a 4160 with manual choke. One of the carbs I'm looking at is the 80508S which is the same carb with electric choke which I want.  The 4150 Street Avebger HLY-0-80770 is 770 CFM electric choke and a little over $100 more with more bells and whistles. Rated for 400 horsepower + which is the range I'm looking for. Anyone else? Ted?
Joe-JDC
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 8 hours ago
A Summit 750 vacuum secondary would more than suffice for a 400 hp build, and would not be leak prone like the Holleys when they sit, or have the gaskets dry out.  If you get the jetting right, then there should not be any difference in power, and the Summit carb is a lot less expensive.  Out of the box, it was only a few hp difference than the tweaked Holley Ted uses on all his dyno tests.  Joe-JDC

JDC
slumlord444
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

The Summit sounds like an option. Does it use Holly jets, accelerator pumps, power valves, and vaccum secondary springs or to you have to use Summit specific parts?

62bigwindow
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Have you looked into Quick Fuel carbs? My buddy talked me into getting one and I'm happy I did.

Durham Missouri
Lord Gaga
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)

Last Active: Today @ 1:57:17 AM
A Summit 750 CFM

"FREE SAMPLE"
Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
While almost any carb can be made to work, if wanting new then I’ll recommend the Summit vacuum secondary carbs.  Runs good out of the box and the as delivered jetting is close for most applications while being available in 500, 600, and 750 cfm versions.  They also feature annular fuel discharge nozzles and these do a much better job at atomizing the fuel than the standard straight leg or drop leg fuel nozzles.  Those carbs are made by Holley for Summit and as a result, use Holley needle and seat assemblies, power valves, accelerator pump diaphragms, and jets among other shared parts.

As a general rule for selecting a vacuum secondary carb, go bigger than you think you need.  When properly set up, the vacuum secondaries only open the amount needed based on the air flow of the engine.  If you pick a vacuum secondary carburetor that appears to be too big based on the total air flow available through it, it will always have the optimum amount of air flow due to the secondaries only opening the amount needed.  Said another way, it will never be oversized and will provide only the air flow that the engine requires.  Any Y that’s been modified with a better flowing intake manifold, any kind of head work, camshafts, or improved exhaust will benefit from having larger than stock sized carbs.  I use the 750 versions on those Y’s that have the normal street performance upgrades.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/1cdef92f-37af-4204-a9de-5a7b.jpg  
https://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/summit-racing/product-line/summit-racing-m2008-series-carburetors/part-type/carburetors

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 11 hours ago

Ted:

I have often wondered about vacuum secondary Holley style  carbs when mildly driven and never opening the secondaries.  Does our alcohol laced gasoline "go bad" sitting in the secondary bowls for long periods of time?  I wonder about my dual Hollies on my 427 in my R code '63 Galaxie.  I almost never get into it hard enough and long enough to empty the secondary bowls and refill with fresh fuel.  Maybe I should just give the car to a grandson so he can keep the fuel fresh, that is, if he can afford to keep 93 octane in it.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Hoosier Hurricane (11/7/2019)
Ted:
I have often wondered about vacuum secondary Holley style  carbs when mildly driven and never opening the secondaries.  Does our alcohol laced gasoline "go bad" sitting in the secondary bowls for long periods of time?  I wonder about my dual Holleys on my 427 in my R code '63 Galaxie.  I almost never get into it hard enough and long enough to empty the secondary bowls and refill with fresh fuel.  Maybe I should just give the car to a grandson so he can keep the fuel fresh, that is, if he can afford to keep 93 octane in it.

Holley four barrel carbs (including the Summit badged models) have idle circuits on the secondary side.  While these are ‘fixed’ (non-adjustable) on most of the carbs, they do allow the fuel to be constantly turned over in the secondary bowls abeit just a bit slower than the refresh that takes place on the primary side if just idling.  Hence, the fuel in the secondary bowls should not be any more ‘stagnant’ than the fuel in the primary bowls.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter