Profile Picture

Bolt sizes and lengths

Posted By Tbird1956 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Thanks for letting me join.

I am completely new to y blocks. My dad passed away and my mom gave me his 1956 Thunderbird. He had a 292 block that he had machined with the crankshaft and pistons etc installed. He also had the heads redone but they are not completely assembled. I bought some of the Elgin tubular pushrods and plan on buying a new timing chain and new head bolts. The problem I have is that all the block bolts are in a bucket and I don't know what bolts go where and their appropriate lengths. My uncle has done this before but also around 40 years ago so I would like to make sure that we put it together properly. I have been reading what I can about them on Facebook and was recommended this forum by a y block Facebook group member. I have also bought the ford y blocks book for reference. It lists some tips but I can use all the help I can get.

Thanks again.

Chad Current

Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Welcome to the site.

The first order order of business would be to lay all the bolts out sorted by size and length.  From there, the forum members can then help to point out where they go.  You are essentially going to have 5/16-18, 3/8-13, and 7/16’14 bolts of various lengths.  There will also be some studs and nuts but sort everything the best you can in piles and we’ll go from there.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Tbird1956
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)

Thanks for the reply.

Next trip to my mom's house I will be doing this.
Cliff
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 52 minutes ago
You need to buy this book          

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Y-Block-Engines-How-to-Rebuild-and-Modify-by-Morris-Charles-New/333334451475?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20180105095853%26meid%3D13a9aa0a3f2d4ff390182437048da022%26pid%3D100903%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D20%26mehot%3Dlo%26sd%3D333334451475%26itm%3D333334451475%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2510209&_trksid=p2510209.c100903.m5276
paul2748
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
If you haven't already, get a  1956 Ford Shop manual (includes TBirds).  This will give engine spec's, torque values and a whole lot more.  Good luck with the Bird - I've also got 56 Bird.  Ebay is probably your best choice.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

miker
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
Welcome. It might also help to add your location to your signature. Might be someone close who can help.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
NoShortcuts
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Welcome to the site, Chad.  Miker's recommendation is a good one.  IF there is a Forum member near you, their availability to help should prove to be invaluable.  While this site focuses on y-block engines, all topics related to the vehicles they came in are appropriate.  Consider sharing your geographic location.

The Classic Thunderbird Club International has assembled a Restoration Manual that is over 400 pages in coverage.  While I don't recall a breakdown list of bolts for the engine, the manual is amazing in the coverage of information pertaining to '55, '56, and '57 'Birds.  While the Restoration Manual entries were begun in the early '90s, entries continue to be added.  Several years ago, a topical index for the manual was developed that is invaluable to locating where in the manual (many times more than one location) the information is addressed.  The manual is not inexpensive, but the information and accompanying pictures are really GooD.

Many of our Forum members own 'Birds.  While some are purists, many are focused on drive-ability, reliability, and enjoyment in their regular use.

Our Y-Blocks Forever web site has provision for email communication.  Unfortunately, some of us find that it does not work for us.  My experience is that I cannot successfully send initial communications to a Forum member using the web site's email system.  However, IF I receive an email from a Forum member, I have had success in replying to their communication.

A valuable  feature of this web site is the Archive of previous topical entries.  The Archive is located within the Explore category (next to the heading Home) using the name Search which is below Tags in the first column on the left under Explore.  Locating the Search heading is the difficulty some have.  You may have to use the column on the right to scroll down on your computer to move below the title Tags

Click the link below for the C.T.C.I. web site.  Consider clicking the heading, 'Car Tech" for the technical offerings.
https://www.ctci.org/

This site has been enormously helpful to me.  Welcome aboard!

Regards,
Charlie Brown

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
stuey
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (830 reputation)Supercharged (830 reputation)Supercharged (830 reputation)Supercharged (830 reputation)Supercharged (830 reputation)Supercharged (830 reputation)Supercharged (830 reputation)Supercharged (830 reputation)Supercharged (830 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Hi
http://www.ford-y-block.com/assemblyerrors.htm
the above may be helpful.
in fact the http://www.ford-y-block.com/index.html  web site is full of useful goodies and info.
stuey

Tbird1956
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

I do happen to have both recommended books and the shop manual. It's just none of my books show what length bolts go where particularly timing cover, water pump, oil pump, intake manifold bolts, generator brackets etc.

I live in East central Indiana. I have heard that someone refered to as the Hoosier Hurricane lives close to me " Selma area" but I don't know him and not sure if he still active?
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 3 hours ago
You mentioned "Selma area".  Were you referring to me or to you being there.  I'm about a mile and a half northeast of Selma.  I am still active, have a '56 and a '57 T-Bird, a '57 passenger drag car, and a '57 Ranchero in my Y-Block fleet.  Right now I'm involved with harvesting my soybeans, after that I plan to take it easy for a little while.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg

Reading This Topic

Site Meter