Profile Picture

New Piston Ring Set

Posted By 55 GLASS TOP 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
So my new replacement rings arrived today , they were sealed in packets unlike the first set that were just flopping in the box .the new rings are all consistent in size ,the other ones were all different sizes . 
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/0a41b108-a7d4-492d-859d-406.jpeg
Talkwrench
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Great, pop them in and check the gap. 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/02c74785-3ce2-4b80-a66c-f31f.jpg

"Came too close to dying to stop living now!"
Cliff
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
Good Job, most people would have installed the first set not checking.
55 GLASS TOP
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Thanks  Cliff , my first Y Block rebuild I am checking everything 3 times 
Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 8 hours ago
That was a good call in going to the trouble of getting another set of rings.  While that original set would have cranked up and ran, overall engine performance is still better with the ‘correct’ ring end gaps being employed.  Regardless of the industry trying to justify the larger top ring end gaps, there’s still an advantage to maintaining minimum specs for those top ring end gaps.  You can rest assured that the oem's will not be using excessive ring end gaps on their engines with the emphasis being on improved fuel economy.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

55 GLASS TOP
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks Ted, it really was not too bad. I sent the dealer  a photo of the rings and he sent me ,and he sent a new box from Hastings without even asking to return the old stuff.  The ring gap is still a bit more than I would like but I think it is what it is . The cylinders were bored to the pistons I am about .005 away from what I think should be my optimum number. 

Reading This Topic

Site Meter