Profile Picture

Ring gap issue solved

Posted By 55 GLASS TOP 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
What procedure are you referring to , I was checking end gap 
KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.6K reputation)Supercharged (3.6K reputation)Supercharged (3.6K reputation)Supercharged (3.6K reputation)Supercharged (3.6K reputation)Supercharged (3.6K reputation)Supercharged (3.6K reputation)Supercharged (3.6K reputation)Supercharged (3.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
Checking and preparing to modify the rings is how I found out the rings were different sizes. I have figured my end gap around .015 two of the rings were already .025 . Already to large to file so after seeing the different sizes

I never had any intention on filing these rings.

I think we are discussing two different procedures.

55 GLASS TOP
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Checking and preparing to modify the rings is how I found out the rings were different sizes. I have figured my end gap around .015 two of the rings were already .025 . Already to large to file so after seeing the different sizes I never had any intention on filing these rings. 
KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.6K reputation)Supercharged (3.6K reputation)Supercharged (3.6K reputation)Supercharged (3.6K reputation)Supercharged (3.6K reputation)Supercharged (3.6K reputation)Supercharged (3.6K reputation)Supercharged (3.6K reputation)Supercharged (3.6K reputation)

I had no intention of filing the rings

You are not going to check and modify for correct fit?

55 GLASS TOP
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I had no intention of filing the rings , I contacted the dealer I bought them from and he is sending me a new set directly from the manufacture. I think the box was opened and the contents was messed with. 
KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

My concern is that with the differing radius rings, the needed ring tension would be varied from piston to piston after filing.

To me, it is not a quality product.

55 GLASS TOP
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Ted , there  was no problem with the other  rings  the gaps were consistent,
Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 5 hours ago
55 GLASS TOP (10/22/2019)
Sometime the answer is right in front of you
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/bbfcd69b-b24a-44ca-a788-926.jpeg

Was there an issue with the 2nd ring end gaps?

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

55 GLASS TOP
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Alignment was never my problem and I think most of us know the rings tend to move around the piston . My issue was with the  piston rings which size varied in size with 1/8 inch difference from the smallest to the largest . Each of the eight rings are different almost like they came from different sets. I am attempting to build a dependable engine .
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 5 hours ago
My late uncle was the shop superintendent of a local tool and die shop.  They were building machines to load piston rings on pistons, a machine designed by Perfect Circle.  The rings were installed by the machine with the gaps in line.  One customer (American Motors, I think) wanted the gaps 120 degrees apart.  My uncle told them they could misadjust the machine to get about 30 degrees separation.  They wouldn't buy that, so he suggested they set up a test station to compare various leakage with various separations.  What they found amazed them.  They found that the rings rotated in their grooves, sometimes the gaps aligned, sometimes as much as 180 degrees apart.  Same results as noted in the article above.  This was back in the '60's.   The customer bought the machines as they were designed.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg

Reading This Topic

Site Meter