Profile Picture

Heat riser valve coil spring, 55 tbird 292

Posted By 55charliebird 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 days ago
My engine is a 57 312 clone with ram horn manifolds, Flow Master mufflers, 2" pipe, open/exposed air filter and an MSD 6A box.  Carb. is calibrated on the lean side with electric choke and the engine never ever stalls. There is no block-off restriction of the exhaust through the intake manifold. There appears to be "some" reasonable flow of exhaust gasses as the red paint is burnt dark on the intake manifold, especially on the left side. Living in Michigan I drive the truck until salt is used on the roads. I think any carbureted engine will be a little grumpy during that transition stage when the choke is starting to swing open and the engine is not yet 100% fully wormed up on those colder days.  I don't sit there waiting for the engine to warm up. It's start, build oil pressure  and go. If I'm gentle with the accelerator during that grumpy stage I can easily live with that short period by further accelerating through it when needed.   Like RancheroJim suggested: It's all relative to your build, use and location, like, your results may vary. Hope this helps, JEFF.......................

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
FORD DEARBORN
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

I forgot to mention that IMO, it's reasonable to assume the Ford Y-block should have a tendency to push exhaust gases from the left side to the right side through the intake due to 2 cylinders firing in succession on the left bank.  This would explain why, when all things are equal, the red paint is burnt much darker on the left passage. Is there any other thoughts?

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
57RancheroJim
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
FORD DEARBORN (10/21/2019)
I forgot to mention that IMO, it's reasonable to assume the Ford Y-block should have a tendency to push exhaust gases from the left side to the right side through the intake due to 2 cylinders firing in succession on the left bank.  This would explain why, when all things are equal, the red paint is burnt much darker on the left passage. Is there any other thoughts?
Two cylinders fire in succession on the right bank also Smile.

FORD DEARBORN
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Ah yes, my brain didn't recognize end and beginning of the firing sequence. Good thing someone is looking after me.

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
57RancheroJim
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I think that is why a Y sounds so sweet Smile
55charliebird
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I ordered two springs, different p/ns for 292 55 bird..  One pn is B5A-9467-B which is supposed to be the spring for the heat riser valve.  The other spring I ordered was pn B5A-9449-A which is supposed to be  an automatic choke spring.  Both were ordered from EBAY.  Both springs arrived today.  The B5A-9467-B is labled for "Choke" and the B5A-9449-A is labled "Heat riser".  Now both springs came from different vendors.  Can anyone figure out what happened.  They are different in size and the number of coils is also different.  Oddly enough every picture I see of the both springs shows what I ordered is correct, what I got is the opposite.  I'm confused, are you by now?
DryLakesRacer
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Heat risers were always a little skinnier than the choke ones. like a 1/4" wide versus 3/8" wide. Mines still on the heat riser but I took it off one end and wired it open. There was too much heat going to the intake,

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

I'm confused, are you by now?

I stay confused. Do you have a photo?

The large spring is to actuate the valve, the smaller an anti-rattle spring.

55charliebird
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I got the answer. One bag was marked incorrectly by its vendor. The other bag was original 55 ford packaging. Both springs cost $22 and free shipping. Sorry for the confusion. Thanks Charlie

Reading This Topic

Site Meter