Profile Picture

Valvoliene synthetic gear oil for Ford Toploader

Posted By slumlord444 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
I’ve lost track of the specific synthetic product made for transmissions with brass syncros.
panel driver
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
I use BG syncroshift. It is synthetic. Labeled for GL 4 use. But gear oil labeled GL 4  is used with brass syncronizers. 

Located in Harford County Maryland 
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 4 minutes ago
Most modern gear oils are safe with yellow metals.  Consult the manufacturers product info, if you are not sure.

Lawrenceville, GA
slumlord444
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

I went back through all the posts here and found my orginal post 2 years ago. At that time I found it on the Valvoline website. VPS Full Synthetic Gear Oil to replace GL4. It's not on their website today. I have to assume that they no no longer make it. My local parts store had it on the shelf back then. Its not there now. As I recall I had trouble finding GL4 when I put the car back together several years ago. Had to order it on Amazon or E Bay.
slumlord444
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Did a little more digging. David Keys actually recomends not using synthetic in the toploader. Says it requires a certain amount of friction to work properly. As I recall the syncro rings are actually called friction rings. Going throuth my inventory of supplies I found the bottle of non synthetic GL4 that I used when I put the car together several years ago. I'm going to stay with it. Going with Synthetic GL5 Ford oil  and Ford Friction Modifer in the rear end. Its a 3.89 Traction Loc. Got about 500 miles on it and a little more on the toploader. Should be broken in and time to change all the fluids before I quit driving it for the winter.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter