Profile Picture

GAUGES

Posted By harleyjohn45 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I would like to work on my non working gauges,  I have a 56 Fair Lane and the previous owner didn't repair the gauges, so he added 3 gauges under the dash for oil, temperature and voltage.  I would like to put 3 similar gauges in the dash.  The gas gauge works.  I would like to replace the clock with an oil pressure, the Idiot light with voltmeter and the temp gauge with a temp gauge.  I would like to use 1956 bezels.  Has anyone done this and what gauges did you use for the conversion? 
The current gauges appear to be the 2.25 standard size.  It would be nice to try to match the color of the original gauges.
Thanks in advance
John 
MoonShadow
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
I put a set of Stewart Warner 2" gauges in once by keeping the chrome bezels from the original dash. They went in from the front. 

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
miker
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 5 days ago
This is an old thread from the HAMB. At the end is “a 56 with a factory tach”. Looks like a home made conversion with 57 bird gauges to me, but I don’t really have a clue. But it might be worth a thought or two. There’s also a bad picture of a 54 with the gauges added below.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1956-ford-car-not-t-bird-factory-gauges-not-idiot-or-dummy-lights.755781/

I’m pretty sure the pass car/tbird dash and gauges are the same, so any of the bird vendors can get the right gauges (12 volt, 56 only) for replacement. They are King Seely (sp?) and work differently than most gauges. There was a write up here on how to calibrate them by jbergman (IIRC), or you can find it on the net. Many of us add the oil pressure and voltmeter under the dash. Here’s my bird panel, with the a/c vents.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
bergmanj
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)

Last Active: 8 hours ago
Hi!
"There was a write up here on how to calibrate them by jbergman (IIRC),"  That was me: "bergmanj" is the correct sign for "search"..

Yes, the original King Seeley system does NOT work on resistance, that's why most of the aftermarket gauges and senders do not work in a mix with the original counterparts.

It's "different"; but, not really "that" complicated once you understand what's happening: The shop manuals have a good explanation too. Most of my explanation would help folks (like me) in converting their '55 6V+Gnd systems to 12V; but, there is also useful information to help in troubleshooting and fixing an existing system.

I'm not here much anymore as my internet is "down" at home and this reply is from my once-a-week trip to the local library.

Good Luck, JLB

55 Ford Crown Victoria Steel Top
KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 8 days ago
https://www.dakotadigital.com/cartimages/prd_ssh_3834_6553.jpg?id=201704121700490

Lou
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
I replaced the clock in my 56 Victoria some years ago with a 1 1/16  tack picked up at a auto parts store, it came out looking like a factory installed unit.
Rono
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
I am in the process of rewiring our 56 Ranch Wagon including a new gauge set. Right now I'm leaning toward a Stewart Warner 5 gauge set that uses a GPS Speedometer. My question is; Is it possible to remove the gauge cluster from the dash without removing the dash? The shop manual says that there are 8 studs/nuts that hold the gauge cluster to the dash, but after disconnecting all the wires, I have only been able to get to a couple of them so far. 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

MoonShadow
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
In a word yes, but they can be difficult to locate and remove. When I'm under the dash like that I usually take the front seat out so I can lay flatter. Makes quite a difference at my age. There is no simple way. A flexible (wire rope?) extension and deep well socket helps.
PROTO 1/4" Drive Flexible Extension 6-1/4"

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
Rono
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Thanks Chuck! Yeah, I know what you mean! I can't twist my body into a pretzel anymore like in the old days! I have all the seats out of the wagon and even laying flat on the floor with the column and brake pedal in the way you are really limited. I'll keep on trying.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

Rono
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

So it was definitely a challenge to get the dash cluster out without removing the dash, but it can be done. Since we upgraded the Ranch Wagon to a 1 wire alternator, we went for a SW Antique Beige 5 gauge set from Boese Engineering which includes polished aluminum bezels specifically for the 56 dash. The fuel guage is compatible with the stock sending unit so no need to tear that out. I think it came out pretty nice.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4b509d6f-74be-461e-a781-f31f.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4edf565e-cd2f-401b-b255-035b.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/eb2e9e5c-5676-4087-a774-d39a.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/e61e59ac-92de-4d65-8e94-d1a0.jpg

Reading This Topic

Site Meter