Profile Picture

Edelbrock FM255 vs. FM257

Posted By Florida_Phil 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
FORD DEARBORN (11/21/2019)
This is assuming this project is a Thunderbird still using a mechanical tach.
My car is a 55 Tbird.  I converted my mechanical tach to a modern electrical tach when I swapped in the '57 distributor.  Fits in the dash hole perfectly.  The FM255 came yesterday.  It's in very good condition and could pass for NOS.  Thank God the carb studs came out with a wrench. I'm going to take some time with this project and do some mock ups before I install it.  I have a couple of issues that need to be worked out.  Distributor clearance could be a problem with a vacuum advance distributor.  I may have to move the distributor wiring to keep it from hitting the manifold.  Hood clearance should not be bad with the dual Holley 4Vs.  I had triple Holley 94 2Vs on the car last year.  Those old 2Vs were much taller.   I would like to run two small air cleaners like the 427s used, but I may not have enough hood clearance. First thing to do is order the carb adapters.  More later,

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

FORD DEARBORN
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 6 days ago
Ok, not a tach drive strib but sounds like there may still be concerns regarding the vacuum advance diaphragm position.  I'll pass on something I did this summer with a 49 Dodge flat 6. Someone replaced the oil pump and it appears the strib is driven off the pump and the drive gear must be oriented an exact way. So rather than removing the pump I indexed the spark plug wires one tower in rotation.  This now put the vacuum advance in the correct place allowing the timing to be set correctly, at 0* in this case. With the strib put where desired, it was a matter of finding the most suitable tower for #1 and going from there. Just something to keep in mind if in case a distributor needs to be swung around in some unnatural position.  Hope this may help, JEFF................

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

That is exactly what I was thinking.  Looking at the current position of my distributor, I'm sure the vacuum advance unit will hit the manifold.  Moving it one notch and reindexing the wires should fix the problem.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Florida_Phil (10/5/2019)
I assume this means I won't be able to use my road draft tube and will need breathers in my valve covers?  I assume a stock 57 distributor will clear?

The later model vacuum advance Ford distributors clear the Edelbrock F255 dual intake manifolds just fine.  Simply phase the distributor so that the vacuum chamber is away from the back of the manifold.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Great!  Thanks.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter