Profile Picture

Decking

Posted By 55 GLASS TOP 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hello my 292 block is in the machine shop and the machinist says that he does not think we need to deck the block. This is the first time the engine has been taken apart since 1956. I am concerned about the gasket not sealing properly to the block if I don’t deck it. How much can be safely removed from the block. Thanks for any replies.
Lou
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Run a indicator over the block, if it off more than .005 have it michined .010, or what ever necessary to flatten it. 
Cliff
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 44 minutes ago
Yes you should have it decked, have your machinist cut for a zero deck height (piston to the top of the block) for new style head gaskets or .010 in the hole for steel head gaskets.   
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
If the machinist is competent and says it isn't needed, then it isn't needed, though it will bring up compression, if you do as Cliff says, and that will help with performance and economy.

Lawrenceville, GA
ian57tbird
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
As Charlie says, a good machinist will know. After all it's money for him if he does the work and he said it's not needed then good chance it isn't necessary.
Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

The motor that came with my TBird was a 292 Frankenstein. It had mismatched parts, a welded crank and two bent push rods in the valley.  I have not had the best luck with local machine shops.  They do the work, it takes forever and it wasn't up to my standards.  I drove 80 miles and took it to someone could do the work right.  My motor had one bank lower than the other, the main caps were walking around and the crank and rods were junk. They squared and decked the block, aligned the mains, bored the cylinders to fit my pistons, installed new cam bearings and prepared the block correctly.  They also balanced the rotating assembly.  This costs $1,500.

My point is not to cast doubts on the quality of your machinist's work.  These engines are old.  They may have been rebuilt a number of times.  They may have been overheated or stressed in some way.  The replacement crank and rods in my engine came out of a 40,000 mile 1957 ford station wagon. They still needed work. If you want your engine to perform, you need to do the job right.  If you want it to move the car, close is close enough.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/84c64d82-8cdc-48d1-b741-c68d.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

NoShortcuts
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

55 GLASS TOP.  I'm going to answer your question in a different way.  The machine shop's information that your engine's deck surfaces are true and will not be an issue in sealing the cylinder heads may be quite true.  The use of the newer composite cylinder head gaskets assures the sealing of head gaskets compared to the steel shim head gaskets used by FoMoCo in 1954 - 1964 in y-block engine production.  Consider having the engine block squared to assist in accomplishing uniform performance (compression, power) from all eight cylinders.

Those that have had Ford y-block series engine block decks squared have reported inaccuracy in their as-originally-manufactured blocks.  These inaccuracies can be:
- the two deck surfaces not being at 90 degrees to each other
- the two deck surfaces not being the same height from the crankshaft center-line
- a deck surface height dimension from the crank center-line varying from the front to the rear of the block

Consider having the engine block squared by decking and having the engine rotating assembly balanced to assure the smooth operation and longer service life of the engine assembly you're putting time and effort into assembling.

Hope this helps.   Smile 

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
blocky
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
just been through the same thing. they measured the block surface and it was 2 thou out. so we did not surface the block and all has turned out well so far.normally in the past i have always surfaced the block so go with what the man says .

Reading This Topic

Site Meter