Profile Picture

DISTRIBUTOR HOLE DIMENSION

Posted By FORD DEARBORN 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
Greetings to all:  Can someone with a block sitting out take a measurement with a caliper or what ever else may be suitable and accurate, the depth of the distributor hole? That is, from the top machined undercut to the gear thrust pad down the hole.  In my case, a 1964 292 block, averages 4.997".  The engine is in the truck but wasn't too difficult to measure. I assume this dimension was standard throughout the Y-block production run and I'm very curious if that is true. I think Ted may have provided that dimension when the gear placement discussion/debate was going on but can't find it.  Thanks in advance, JEFF.........................

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 4 hours ago
See if this pair of links to the previous distributor gear discussion helps.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/FindPost138220.aspx
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/FindPost138243.aspx

Besides just reading my responses, you might peruse that section of the thread as there are some good conversations going on regarding the distributor block hole depth versus the gear placement on the distributor.  Further down in that thread, Cliff machines his distributor to lower the gear which was a good alternative to moving the gear on the shaft.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

FORD DEARBORN
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
I can't thank you enough for the prompt response and the links to the EXACT information needed and then some.  I learned the desirable strib hole dimension is 4.995 to 5.000". On the subject of gear relocation,there has been an occasion I picked up the original pin hole in the shaft and knowing the distance the gear needed to be moved,  drilled the new  hoe in the gear instead. A very time consuming thing. That was when Y-block gears were relatively cheap. Drilling no more than a second hole 90* to the original hole is acceptable according to the book. Has this been a proven practice for a street engine?  Would for sure be a very easy way to relocate a gear only if it doesn't weaken the shaft excessively. Thanks in advance, JEFF.......................

64F100 57FAIRLANE500

Reading This Topic

Site Meter