Profile Picture

Next Upgrade?

Posted By Florida_Phil 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
My TBird is running good, but I would like to take the performance to a little higher level.   My engine is a .060 over 292 with stock 1957 G heads, stock 1957 D code iron intake, Holley 465 4V carb and a 1957 distributor with a Pertronix module and coil.  The engine has about 2,000 street miles since a complete rebuild last summer. The cam is an Isky 301333 with a double roller timing chain.  My car has a stock T-86 three speed with O/D and a stock Dana 44 rear with 4.11 gears.  I have stock 1957 exhaust manifolds and a new stock exhaust system.

What options would give me the best value for my money?  Bigger carb, more carbs, better heads, better intake, better exhaust?   Will I be able to feel the difference from what I have now?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

Joe-JDC
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
Of course I am biased, but porting the heads, and porting the intake manifold, plus a set of FPA thunderbird headers, and 600-750cfm carb will make a huge difference.  A ported Blue Thunder, or Mummert intake will help also.  Just going through all that for this year's Engine Masters Challenge (EMC) in a few days in Mentor Ohio.  Joe-JDC

JDC
Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

I'm not sure anyone near me can port my heads and intake.  Would a bigger carb help without the head and intake work?  Would headers and exhaust make a difference I could feel on the street?   How much power would I gain by bolting on a set of aluminum heads and an intake? 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 27 minutes ago
In the exhaust testing that Ted did, the FPA headers are about the best, period and produced an average of 18hp and 24ftlbs vs '57 manifolds on an engine that is a little over 300hp, which is probably not too far from where yours should be with that cam, if compression was optimized when it was built.  That is a difference that you will feel.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/FindPost99070.aspx

Here is testing of the aluminum heads when first introduced.  Rather significant gains by simply bolting them on but  less per dollar than you will get with the headers.

http://www.eatonbalancing.com/2010/12/15/ford-y-block-aluminum-head-testing-part-i/

In part 2 of the testing, you can see how various intakes might affect things, though the results will not be as significant with stock G heads since the Mummert heads are more capable right out of the box.

http://www.eatonbalancing.com/2010/12/15/ford-y-block-aluminum-head-testing-part-ii/

Lawrenceville, GA
Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks for the info.  From the looks of things, it would seem my first upgrade should be headers and new exhaust.  My current exhaust is stock and the pipes are small.   Is it possible to install bigger exhaust pipe and not have them rattle inside the frame?  Can the tips still come out the rear bumper?

Tedster
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I think Rams horns look cooler, but you really want dual exhaust in any case. Trust Me.
miker
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
The FPA headers work and fit well. My bird has those with 2 1/4 inch exhaust, dumping under the bumper. You can probably get 2 1/2 inch in, but I’ve got a tri 4 bar with coil overs that’s tight to work thru. I used Hushpower mufflers, and that was a mistake. The car barked so loud at full throttle I had to fit separate resonators to stand it, and I’m half deaf. Getting them out the bumper will be creative, but I think I read someone had done it (don’t remember if it was this site).

Lots of mufflers, and everyone has a favorite. I’ve got Flowmasters on another rod, and they’re fine.

If you go to the Mummert heads, the chambers are smaller. They’re “60 cc +-“ and if I’m reading the chart right yours are nominally 69cc’s. I’m guessing with that cam you’d still be ok on premium. I’m at 10.5:1, but I’ve got a cam with fair overlap to bring the dynamic ratio down. But do the math first.

If you do all the above, you’ll be moving in on the limits of the T-86. Just don’t side step the clutch at 3000 rpm or so.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
Vic Correnti
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
Phil,
I have had 2 1/4" with FPT headers in my 55 Bird that exited in the stock location. I had to open up the hole in the "X" frame in front of the mufflers and also the center exit piece in the bumper. I now have 3" mandrel bent in the stock location from the headers back which was a bit more challenging. I know I loose some with the tight bends but it's plenty fast anyway. I never bother to have open headers at the dragstrip.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/7393d096-cbf0-4ed0-bfdc-c4b0.jpg  Vic Correnti

Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks for the feedback.  I am well aware of the limitations of old three speed transmissions.  Back in the day, I must have bought a dozen of them at $15-20 each.  I never dump my clutch and I never speed shift my TBird.  I'm already on a first name basis with the AAA guy.  :>Wink

Reading This Topic

Site Meter