Profile Picture

TDC???

Posted By jamison29 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
I recently had my 292 Y Block rebuilt at a reputable machine shop here in town.  I am trying to learn as a go to get my 54 F100 up and running and don't know much mechanically.  I manually turned the engine to find TDC on the #1 piston and compression stroke.  The TDC mark on the dampner is not even close to the pointer.  Was this put together incorrectly or am I missing something?  I'm estimating that it is maybe 60° off.

Thanks for the help!

JT
Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Does the engine run?  If so, you may be looking at the wrong mark or perhaps your pointer is incorrectly installed.

You need to find true TDC of piston number one.   When your engine is at TDC of the compression stroke, piston number one should be at the top of it's travel and both valves should be closed.  Both the intake and exhaust rockers should have play.  The distributor rotor should be pointing to the "1" on your distributor cap. 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Weeks Ago
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/6594dc40-5b68-4c20-b4f5-1826.jpgI would ask the Machine Shop how they installed the Timing Set. A common Mistake is to set them like the majority of Fords aligning the timing Marks with Camshaft Gear mark down and Crankshaft Gear Mark up aligned with each other. Y Block marks are set with both Marks facing right when viewed from the front and 12 PINS between timing Marks.Its a common mistake made .by Anyone not familiar with the Y block Timing Procedure. Shop Manual shows it very clearly.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
jamison29
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)

Thanks for the response.  I'm not sure if the engine runs yet.  I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row prior to trying to start and break in the engine.  The engine was not the original engine that was with the truck when I found it.  I was able to find a y block and took it straight to the shop to get it rebuilt.
oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Are You using the Damper off the Truck Motor or the One that came with the Engine because that may be a reason why its not lining up properly. I would not try and start a new Motor until You have the Timing Mark problem resolved.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
57RancheroJim
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Are sure you are checking #1 cylinder, it's passenger side front unlike a scruby.
oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

57RancheroJim (9/8/2019)
Are sure you are checking #1 cylinder, it's passenger side front unlike a scruby.

That's another Common Error. #1 Cylinder and Timing Gear Setup.

jamison29
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

The damper that originally was on the engine had spun so I replaced it from another Y block.  Not sure what vehicle the Y block was from...

Right front is the cylinder speaking of.

Thanks
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 8 hours ago
If the history of the damper is unknown, then it need to be replaced or rebuilt.  It doesn't matter how good it may look.

How are you determining that the piston is at tdc?

Lawrenceville, GA
Tedster
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Passenger side forwardmost cylinder. Unless 'Strya.

It's worth checking true TDC with a piston stop tool, to verify TDC on the balancer. Pull the valve covers. When #1 cylinder is at TDC compression, TDC on the balancer, the #6 valves should be at overlap. When #6 cylinder is at TDC compression, TDC on the balancer, #1 valves should be at overlap. 12 pins between links on the timing chain is something even experienced shops sometimes overlook. Let us know what you find. Good that you're checking this stuff before trying to fire in any case.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter