Profile Picture

TDC???

Posted By jamison29 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 days ago

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/c54e0df1-95ed-4348-9c57-f9be.jpg

- SPEEDWAY MOTORS

KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
The damper that originally was on the engine had spun so I replaced it from another Y block.  Not sure what vehicle the Y block was from...

... mmph ...

Joe-JDC
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
Make sure when you say "right front" you understand that left and right are always designated as if you are sitting in the driver's seat of a car, and when dealing with aircraft, the pilot's seat.  Otherwise you will get really confused.  Passenger side front cylinder with Ford American cars for #1 cylinder pre front wheel drive.  Joe-JDC

JDC
jamison29
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
I guessed TDC with a screwdriver.  I will defenatly buy a piston stop tool and reassess.  

Yes, I'm saying Right as if I were driving the truck or flying a plane. 

Thank you guys!  I will reassess TDC once I get the appropriate tool and post my findings!
jamison29
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)

Update...
I hate to admit it but I'm a mechanical idiot.  I was able to achieve TDC and everything lines up correctly.  It seems that when I attempted to find TDC in cylinder #1 using a screwdriver, I may have gotten confused or continued to turn the engine past TDC.  (a few Miller Lites could have contributed to this as well).
Anyway,
Today I used a Piston stop tool in cylinder #1 to find when the piston was at the top of the cylinder.

I pulled the valve covers to make sure the valves were overlapping and that I was on the compression stroke.

Looked down at the balancer and the low and behold the pointer was pretty darn close to pointing to TDC.

I then followed the instructions that KULTULZ posted and made my marks that coincided with the marks on the balancer.

Thank you everyone for your input and time.  It is much appreciated.

I may attempt to start the engine for the first time and break it in over the weekend.

Thank You!!!!!!

JT
oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
jamison29 (9/12/2019)
Update...
I hate to admit it but I'm a mechanical idiot.  I was able to achieve TDC and everything lines up correctly.  It seems that when I attempted to find TDC in cylinder #1 using a screwdriver, I may have gotten confused or continued to turn the engine past TDC.  (a few Miller Lites could have contributed to this as well).
Anyway,
Today I used a Piston stop tool in cylinder #1 to find when the piston was at the top of the cylinder.

I pulled the valve covers to make sure the valves were overlapping and that I was on the compression stroke.

Looked down at the balancer and the low and behold the pointer was pretty darn close to pointing to TDC.

I then followed the instructions that KULTULZ posted and made my marks that coincided with the marks on the balancer.

Thank you everyone for your input and time.  It is much appreciated.

I may attempt to start the engine for the first time and break it in over the weekend.

Thank You!!!!!!

JT

U are not an Idiot. If U are unsure of Something better to ask Questions than make a major Mistake like a new Engine.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
jamison29
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Update...

Triple double checked TDC, plug wires, firing order, valves closed at TDC etc. Primed the carb... Asked the wife to turn the key and IT FIRED UP WITH NO PROBLEM!  I was so stoked that it fired up without a hitch and thought that I would let everyone know on this forum who helped me.  A great BIG THANK YOU to you guys!

Ran it at  high RPMs for about 20 min to break everything in.  Minor Fuel leak at the fuel pump, but I can take care of that. Put the timing light on it after 20 min and it seems to be all good after a minor distributor adjustment.

THANK YOU!

oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
Congrats! Its a great feeling when it Fires right up. Great relief too. Been there. Done that.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg

Reading This Topic

Site Meter