Profile Picture

56 f100 pwr steering

Posted By brucem 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I have a 56 f100 with fordomatic trans,i am considering a borgerson power conversion.I want to keep the steering column original.has anyone done this and what obsticles might i encounter. Thanks
panel driver
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
I used a gm power steering pump and got the bracket, hoses and converted toyota steering box from classic performance products in California  . I mounted it to my original steering shaft. Had to shorten the shaft, and column housing  and install a contact ring for the oe horn to work. I think the horn contact ring may have come from mid fifties truck parts. I installed a power steering cooler off of a explorer  behind the louvered opening in the engine compartment behind the left head light area.  I think Mummerts sells a bracket but may not have all the other stuff. You may want to check on the ratio of the steering box i know its different than toyota i think 14 to 1. I may not work with your suspension. I have a lowered spring  straight front oe non modified  syle axle.  I want to say its about 3 full turns lock to lock on a factory 56 wheel. Sometimes i think its a little over sensitive at 65 mph. I am running a 70 series tire up front that may be part of it.  That's all i can think of right now. I will keep watching the post if you have any more questions. Thanks Joe 

Located in Harford County Maryland 
2721955meteor
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
i used the toyota box,toyota pump and lines,made my own brackets,used the toyota column and tilt wheel. had to modify the pitman arm to ford style,also made the  rod to the ford arm made it easeyr to get t box centered. steers  great my truck is a 1949 mere with a 292,the box placement was a challenge. have used the truck for 2years  works great

Reading This Topic

Site Meter