Profile Picture

Generators

Posted By montana ford man 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
I’ve been cleaning out my storage sheds and garage and man there’s a lot of ford parts I probably never use. An example, I must have a dozen or so generators mostly 12 volt but a few 6 volt.shipping is so expensive but is there someone that rebuilds generators that would want all these cores? the same with fuel pumps,I have a bunch of dual ford pumps that need rebuilding with modern parts. Shipping is so expensive,but it is such a shame to just haul parts to the scrap iron. Any ideas ?
Tedster
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Call Mac's, folks like that and see what they say. Doubtful. Sad, but gearheads are sentimental about old Iron. *sniffle*
KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Shipping is so expensive,but it is such a shame to just haul parts to the scrap iron. Any ideas ?            

What worries me is that each GEN has an ID STAMPNG NO, AMP and DATE CODE. If someone was doing a NUMBERS MATCHING RESTO, I would think they would want to know the availability.

Maybe E-Bay them and see if you get any bites?

montana ford man
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Well,I have generators for sale,most probably work. The problem these days is a lot of guys including myself put alternators on instead of generators.
Tedster
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

You're right. And not too many people want to learn the intricacies of stone knives and bearskin charging systems. They just want to drive their classic, and have the battery charged without any attention. Generators aren't especially inexpensive anymore, either, that was one thing they sort of had going for them.

There are a few diehards left, for whatever reason. If you clean them up, new bearings and brushes, and put a decent price on them I think they would sell pretty good. That's probably not what you had in mind by your question though.
KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/images/smilies2/sad2.gif

Let me try this one more time -

What worries me is that each GEN has an ID STAMPING NO, AMP and DATE CODE.

If someone was doing a NUMBERS MATCHING RESTORATION, I would think they would want to know the availability.

If you are not concerned about originality/restoration and only RESTO-MOD, take them to any near-by jobber and throw them in the core barrel. If not concerned, why would you ask?

A person only interested in keeping the car running will by a REMAN and turn the original in for a core and will not be concerned about it's being correct..

PF Arcand
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
From some of the posts here & in Y-Block magazine, it seems that quite a few issues with Generators relate to the Regulaters. I believe some replacements are made "off shore" & apparently are trouble prone.  Also, because collector vehicles are often only driven intermittently, in summer mostly, it's harder to keep batteries in good charge with a Generator setup. I had those problems until I took the advise of the Battery shop I was deaing with & bought a "maintainer" charger for about $30.00 & that seems to have solved the problem of poor battery life, particularly over the winter  Another related item is, Ampere guages!  My car was equiped with one when I bought it, & I know they used to be fitted fairly commonly to older cars. First, an Amp guage requires heavy wiring or it will oveheat, 14 or 12 guage won't cut it !..Then to top it off, the guage in my car got so hot it melted at the connector points!. If your car has an amp guage & your having trouble with your generator setup, it may be a good idea to disconnect & by pass it. If you still want a guage, re wire for a Volt meter. It may help solve your generator woes.. Remember, they worked fairly well when they were new. .  

P.S.- what about the rebuilders, like Cardone, will they take the cores?  And apparently there's a shortage of Y-Block distributor cores also...                   

Paul
Tedster
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

To use a current example Mac's wants $230 for the 30 amp generator, and $40 core charge. I don't know what it costs to ship a generator but it might be approaching that. See the problem? They are relatively expensive to buy compared to an alternator, and heavy to ship. Unless someone is determined to maintain authenticity or originality, hardly anyone is ever going to install or maintain a generator system.

Some people say they've never given the voltage regulators any attention and had no trouble, but I am of the opinion the regulator contacts need periodic dressing with a spoon or riffler file, particularly the cutout. Not sandpaper. The regulator manufacturers and manuals were very insistent about this. Clean, tight low resistance ground circuit cables and connections, and a battery maintainer or "smart" charger. I will say I routinely ignored all that stuff and drove for quite a while. Not everyone wants to familiarize themselves with DC generator trivia.

Eventually in my case the cutout relay stuck and battery voltage backfed into the field windings. I messed around with the regulator but didn't understand the problem well enough to effect a repair. My experience with this kind of thing, maybe a better word could be used other than "Reliable."

If a component or system is neglected or not maintained or serviced as part of preventive maintenance, it will eventually fail. That doesn't really mean "unreliable" as such. In fact they are damn simple and "reliable" and are repairable practically indefinitely. They are definitely not "maintenance free" though, and this is what most people want and probably what they mean by reliability and freedom from periodic adjustment or servicing has been the driving force behind a lot of the technical component design for a long time. Women did not drive cars for quite some time in the early years, largely for the fact they weren't generally strong enough to even crank them over to start them. The Electric Starter changed all that.
PF Arcand
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
Montana: Further on your Generator parts. Another route to advertise them at low cost would be Y-block Magazine, @ PO.Box 1005 Ottawa IL 61350. Basic Ads are .10 cents/word, $3.00 minimum, published bi monthly.  For further info e-mail is,  yblockmag@yahoo.com  Ph.# is Bruce Young at  (815) 433-1393 - 8:30-10:AM. weekdays (usually) Ilinois time or Sat. 8 to 9 AM. If no answer, leave a message.       

Paul

Reading This Topic

Site Meter