Profile Picture

Temp issues

Posted By mjs 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Months Ago
So I've been having temp issues with my 368.  After running for about 20 minutes the temp gauge will climb all the way to high.  I've changed the t-stat and the sending unit.  I've changed the factory gauge with another factory gauge with no change.  I have checked the temps with an IR thermometer and It shows 185 at the t-state housing, 185 at the sending unit, and the rad shows around 150.  I keep thinking it could be the IVR but the fuel gauge works fine and it controls  both.  The motor has been rebuilt. 

Any thoughts or suggestions?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/1d5b145a-1c57-4c0d-8bd1-fba5.jpg
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 4 hours ago
185 is not an issue.  If the IR thermometer is accurate and the gauge is reading high at the same time, then something to do with the gauge is not working properly.

Lawrenceville, GA
mjs
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)

I agree.  As far as the actual temp I know I don't have a problem.  The problem has to be electrical and I've been scratching my head trying to figure out where it might be.  I did try another gauge but that didn't solve the issue.   I know they work by measuring resistance and the lower the ohms the higher the gauge will read.  I don't want to use an a/m gauge since it would look tacky in a Lincoln. 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/1d5b145a-1c57-4c0d-8bd1-fba5.jpg
RB
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Put a volt meter on the feed to the temp sensor and see what it says.. It should read the same for all the sensors,oil pressure and fuel gauge as well.
I once had a Stewart Warner gauge that always read at least 20 degrees high on temp.. I finally started putting resistors in line between the sender and the gauge, till the gauge reading matched the IR reading.. PITA but it worked..
RB
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
This is a long shot.. I have read (but never experienced)  that putting to much sealer on the threads of the sender can disrupt the path to ground and cause gauge inaccuracy..  But then on reflection I would guess that would cause the gauge to read low  not high..
miker
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 5 days ago
This is a question-are those gauges King Seeley (?sp) like the Ford gauges of some years?

I use an aluminum based anti seize on electrical sensors, or the copper coat electrical compound.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
ian57tbird
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
I don't have a lot of faith in IV thermometers. From my experience when doing aircons they did not give accurate readings on all surfaces. This clearly showed up when trying to get a reading off copper pipe. The readings would very greatly depending on which way you held your tongue. The only accurate way was with a touch probe thermometer.
FORD DEARBORN
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Sure sounds like the problem may be the sender. I'm assuming with engine running cold, gauge is indicating cold. Then at some higher temp, the gauge works its way to indicate hot. At this point with engine running, pull the connector from the sender and see if the gauge returns to cold. I know you replaced the sender but more than once, 2 defective parts were on hand. I don't know if the Lincoln car uses the same system as in the Ford. There is a procedure in the 57 Ford book using two 1 1/2V batteries in series to test the gauge. It (3V at the gauge terminal with the key off) should put the gauge aprox. 1/2 scale.  I remember an analog volt meter will show a pulsing needle that should average about 5V at the disconnected sensor lead.  I know you said the other gauges are working correctly but that doesn't mean there isn't an issue with the temp circuit. Check the Lincoln manual for the correct procedure as this may not apply to you. Hope this helps, JEFF>..........

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
mjs
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks for the input and suggestions everyone.  You have given me a lot to consider and check.  I find it hard to believe that the IR thermometer could be reading 40+ degrees off.  I do have a second one at work I could compare it to.  I have to believe it's either a sending unit or a wiring issue.  Fortunately I do have two of these cars.  A coupe and a convertible.  The convertible is the one with the problem.  The coupe on even the hottest days runs mid range on the gauge so I have been using it for comparison.  Over the weekend I'll run some tests and keep everyone apprised of what I find.

blocky
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)

hi just a thought but does the guage or the dash unit need to be earthed properly??i had this fault with my fuel guage good luck

Reading This Topic

Site Meter