Profile Picture

FMX or Cruise-o-Matic On a Y-block.

Posted By oldcarmark 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
I would like some Information about swapping One of these for a Fordomatic. What is involved in using one of these Transmissions if I want to change mine? Not looking for a Hi-Po do over like the Article shown  under"Articles". Both have removable Bell Housings. Can You use the Fordomatic Bell Housing with a couple of Holes drilled in it to match the replacement Transmission. I know a 57+ Flexplate is required. What else is involved. I know these were used on the Y Block but my Chances of finding an exact Match is pretty Slim.I know there is a Kit to use a C-4 which still might be the way to go if an FMX/Cruisomatic is not going to work..

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
pegleg
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
The FMX requires two holes be drilled in the mating face of the transmission to match the Y bellhousing and some work on the cross member for the rear mount. None of this is very difficult. Well worth the trouble. The Trans can be found in 351(C) equipped mustangs and Torinos.

Frank/Rebop

Bristol, In ( by Elkhart) 

oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

What about any other Modifications? If I use a flexplate with Ring Gear from 57+ will Torque Convertor bolt up OK? What Starter is used? Is any FMX useable because they were used on other Cars also. Thanks

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
FORD DEARBORN
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 5 days ago
I can only state what worked for me in a 57 Ford with 312. I started with a COM from a 63 Mercury with 390. It fit the 57 bell perfectly, no drilling required. It's been a very long time ago but I don't remember having to modify the rear mount/cross member either or might have made a simple extension plate? The shift linkage and kick down is where modifications were necessary. I didn't have to buy or add anything, Just altered the existing "grasshopper" affair and the shift arm on the trans. As stated, has been a million years ago but I used the actual shift arm from the FOM in place of he arms on the COM as they were designed for this car.  I drilled several holes in the shift arm and it  was then a matter of putting the shift rod in the hole that provide the correct  throw/range, P-R-N-D-L.  There is one extra detant (green dot) with the COM and that wound up being almost at the "D". I knew where it was just by feel and it worked very well.  At the "grasshopper" on the intake manifold, I drilled out the threads in the clevis so it would slide up and down the threads on the kick down rod and provided two nuts, one is a jamb nut, and adjusted them to where the rod would down shift when the throttle is floored wide open. Again, this worked very well on a 57 Fairlane 500. In this case, even the input splines were same as the 57 converter. Also, a vacuum line is required. Don't recall if a different drive shaft was necessary but at the time, I had quite a collection of them on hand. It was a modification that really modernized the drive ability and enjoyment of that car. It's also a bullet proof trans. Some of this may or may not apply to you but I'm adding it to the thread in case it does. Hope this helps, JEFF..................

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
Mark, as mentioned above, it is a very satisfying swap.  You will have to match the input shaft and front pump to the converter you use.  The FMX converter snout will not fit the Y crankshaft, a bushing will be needed.  If the FMX converter studs don't match the Y flywheel, drill to suit.  As Dearborn mentioned, the shift and kickdown linkage will need sorted out.  The FOM/COM tailshaft and housing can be carefully fitted to the rear of the FMX and the stock mount and driveshaft used.  Pay close attention to the tail housing gasket, make sure the lower corner seals.  Any FMX will work this way, they are the same except for different lengths and driveshaft splines. 

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanx for the Info from John and Dearborn. Doesn't sound like it really matters if I find a good used FMX or C/M. Both very  similar to the Fordo. I know both were really modified Fordo's to ad the ability to start off in low instead of 2nd. Never understood what Ford was thinking when they designed the Fordo to start in 2nd.

DryLakesRacer
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I had a shop install a 1962 medium case cruise-o-matic behind my 1956 Ford 292. The owner of the shop knew everything there was to know about cruise-o's since he built them for the automatic T-Bolts in the mid 60's. Mine sounds like frankenstein but really isn't. He used the stock 1956  flexplate, converter bell housing and torque converter by changing the front hub. This kept the air cooled converter and added  water cooling to the trans, The kick down (which is no longer pressure) is set just before wide open throttle and the vacuum modulator takes care of the rest. I extended the shifter arm on the column, which I made, to give 6 spots; the 2 drives are now marked with a "white" and "green" dot on each side of the "D".

The only major problem was the speed-o-cable which came in above the main shaft making the speed-o run in reverse. They reused the original 1956 tail section housing by machining it to take the larger bushing needed for the larger yoke. After I changed the rear end gearing, I added an adapter to compensate for the higher gear as the trans already had the highest one.

I like the way it works and performs but if I were to do an installation of a 3 speed at home I would have used a C4 and a Flat-O adapter set up. I got the trans for a good price with the insulation and have been friends with the owner for many many years. They are heavy but very strong.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
darrell
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

if you had a 56 merc it would be much easier.the fmx and com have a fine spline input shaft you ford doesnt.a merc from 55 up does.you can use the fmx torque converter by using an com flywheel.59 to 62.my last 56 used an air cooled converter and bell.he must have used a merc t.c. or changed the part inside.also use the long tailshaft fmx or youll need another driveshaft.it comes in full size cars and trucks.mustangs, torinos etc have 3 in shorter 
oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Hoosier Hurricane (8/14/2019)
Mark, as mentioned above, it is a very satisfying swap.  You will have to match the input shaft and front pump to the converter you use.  The FMX converter snout will not fit the Y crankshaft, a bushing will be needed.  If the FMX converter studs don't match the Y flywheel, drill to suit.  As Dearborn mentioned, the shift and kickdown linkage will need sorted out.  The FOM/COM tailshaft and housing can be carefully fitted to the rear of the FMX and the stock mount and driveshaft used.  Pay close attention to the tail housing gasket, make sure the lower corner seals.  Any FMX will work this way, they are the same except for different lengths and driveshaft splines. 

John can I use the Pump and Convertor off the Fordo?  Compatible with the C/M? The Convertor would remail Aircooled.  have a Hookup for the actual Transmission on the Radiator that I installed. Where does an FMX fit in. Same as C/M. Can Parts from F/M be swapped Bell Housing,front Pump, and Converter?

Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Mark, the answer is yes with a caveat.  If your FOM, and hence your air cooled converter have a 17 tooth input shaft, then you would have to swap input shafts as the FMX, and probably a COM, have a 29 spline input shaft.  Not as easy as it may sound, to change the input shaft requires a complete teardown of the transmission.  If you're going to overhaul it anyway, then it doesn't make any difference.  To answer your earlier question, the Y Block starter works with the pre-62 flywheel.  A great many parts interchange between the three models of transmissions.  When I first started racing my car in stock class, I was required by rule to use the original case.  I put all FMX guts in the original case.  Later rules allowed transmission swaps, so I just used the FMX and had a stall converter built that was FMX on the back end and Y Block on the front.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg

Reading This Topic

Site Meter