Profile Picture

Wheel Offset

Posted By oldcarmark 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Week
Do U have to deflate because of Tires or because the Axle doesn't drop far enough? Are the Wheels direct Fit or are they multfit?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
paul2748
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I had to deflate because of the tires it seems.  The tires are pretty wide (70 series). I'm not sure that the axle will drop more if I disconnect the shocks.

oldcarmark (8/10/2019)
Do U have to deflate because of Tires or because the Axle doesn't drop far enough? Are the Wheels direct Fit or are they multfit?

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

paul2748 (8/12/2019)
I had to deflate because of the tires it seems.  The tires are pretty wide (70 series). I'm not sure that the axle will drop more if I disconnect the shocks.

oldcarmark (8/10/2019)

Depends on what Shocks U have on the Car. Anyone who has Replacement Shocks from the Aftermarket Catalog seems to have the same Problem- the Shock stops the Axle from dropping far enough to get even 75 Series Tires off. I found Information Somewhere(maybe even here) that Gabriel G63398 shocks would work and drop far enough but not bottom out on Compression. That Gabriel # could also be cross referenced to other  Manufacturers. Or buy inexpensive Shock Extenders that screw onto the lower end of shock making it longer. I have the Gabriel's on this Car and my last One. Gas Shocks. Never had a Problem and wheels were removable without further Problems.{

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
A more modern size might help with that fitment issue.  Wheel Vintiques make classic looking wheels in modern sizes.  There are probably other brands.  The reason a modern 17" or 18" wheel may make it easier is that there is more room on the inside to get it over the brake drum so you don't have to lift the wheel as high to get it in and on the hub or axle.  Of course, with a modern rim, you're stuck with a modern tire which may not be what you want.

Lawrenceville, GA
MplsMike
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
Just curious, is anyone running a 17 or 18 inch wheel? If so, can you post pictures?

MplsMike
'56 Parklane
Minneapolis, MN
pegleg
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
You can also find wheel spacers in 1/8, 1/4 etc. Jegs or Summit carries them. I would not use anything wider and there a good ones and Junk ones. Go for the good with the proper bolt pattern and be sure your wheel studs are long enough. 

Frank/Rebop

Bristol, In ( by Elkhart) 

charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
MplsMike (8/19/2019)
Just curious, is anyone running a 17 or 18 inch wheel? If so, can you post pictures?

In general or on a car?  I have 17s on my truck.

Lawrenceville, GA
MoonShadow
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 7 hours ago
Pat Flieshman had 17's on his 57 Ford. Also there is a note hear someplace with the part numbers for some Ford truck front shocks that fit the rear on a 56 and have a longer stroke so the tires come down a bit lower. Disconnecting the shocks helps and I've often done that on mine but since I put on the truck shots I haven't had a problem.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

MoonShadow (8/20/2019)
Pat Flieshman had 17's on his 57 Ford. Also there is a note hear someplace with the part numbers for some Ford truck front shocks that fit the rear on a 56 and have a longer stroke so the tires come down a bit lower. Disconnecting the shocks helps and I've often done that on mine but since I put on the truck shots I haven't had a problem.

Gabriel G63398. These are Gas Shocks.  That should be able to cross Reference to other Brand Shocks. They are long enough to drop the Axle to change Tire but not too long that they Bottom out on Compression. Cheap too.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter