Wheel Offset

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic147234.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By oldcarmark - 5 Years Ago
Looking for some New Wheels. Want to stay as close to stock size. Thinking 15 x 6". What is the Backset I can use. Original is basically Neutral from what the Shop Manual says.
By miker - 5 Years Ago
I’ve got 15x7’s. 3 1/2” backspace on the front, 4” on the rear. The 3 1/2” are tight to the upper ball joint. 15x6 at 3” would probably be safer. Some of it depends on sidewall bulge, and I’m running 225/60’s. So quite a bit of tire. I think if they clear the front on the bird, they’ll work on a pass car. On the back I’m guessing, but 15x6 and 3” would probably work. I know you’re aware of the possible problem removing the rear tire.
I am wanting the Cragar SS. The old Favorite. Last Time I had these was was 1980.  in the 15 inch the narrowest  they sell is 15 x 6,  3 1/4 Backset with 6 mm Offset. There is no other Option.I think they will work. I am just using 205/78/15 Radials. Any Ideas? The Rear Axle drop down Problem can be solved by changing Shocks which I have done. Gabriel G63398 I believe is the #. They are actually used on 1980 F150 4wd if my Memory is correct. The Shocks listed for 1956 Passenger Car are too short to allow Axle to drop far enough. You can also ad Shock Extenders to the Bottom of the Stock  Shock. Anyway the Wheels and Tires I want are not far off Original Sizes as long as the Rims will work.
By miker - 5 Years Ago
Well, 6mm is just about a 1/4” , so it all adds up. I had a set of those Cragars for another car. I tried them on the bird and as I recall they fit ok. Should be ok, except maybe the rear skirts. Can’t help you there.
OK Thanks for the Insight. The Skirts are off right now. Not really worried about them for the time being. 
By Gene Purser - 5 Years Ago
You can measure your present wheels/tires for clearance and then check the backspace/frontspace on your current wheels. The closest place on my '55 is on the outside at the back of the tire. I have a 57 1/2" eight inch rear and have about 3/8" clearance there and they rub occasionally. I'm running 8" wheels with 3 3/8" frontspace and I think 3 1/4" frontspace is about the maximum for me for clearance. 
If You are running 8" Wheels I should be fine with 6" Wheels. I have about 2.5 " of clearance now with original Rims with 205/78/15 tires. Cragar only makes 2 6" Rims in the SS Series. Both same Specs just One is direct Fit which is what I want and one multi-fit.  I am not going with a Wider Tire than what I have now, Thanks for the Info.
By montana ford man - 5 Years Ago
I just got my new ss cragars on my 56 customline yesterday,they are 15x7 with 215 70 15 cooper cobras and fit really nice with no issues.I was a little worried about them being too wide but they fit with no problems. I will try to figure out how to post pictures of my car,hope this helps.
Very Helpful. Is your Rear Axle original '56? What is the Part # for the Cragars? How close to the wheel opening Lip are the Tires. In other words how much room between tire and Body at the Back. Do your Fronts clear the Ball Joints OK? Your Info is exactly what I am looking for.for.
By paul2748 - 5 Years Ago
On my 54, I have SS Cragars.  Front is 14 X 6  (195-75 x 14 tires)  The back is 15 X 7 (225-70-15).  You have to deflate the rear tires to get them off and on.  Wheel are Cragar standard offset.
Do U have to deflate because of Tires or because the Axle doesn't drop far enough? Are the Wheels direct Fit or are they multfit?
By paul2748 - 5 Years Ago
I had to deflate because of the tires it seems.  The tires are pretty wide (70 series). I'm not sure that the axle will drop more if I disconnect the shocks.

oldcarmark (8/10/2019)
Do U have to deflate because of Tires or because the Axle doesn't drop far enough? Are the Wheels direct Fit or are they multfit?

paul2748 (8/12/2019)
I had to deflate because of the tires it seems.  The tires are pretty wide (70 series). I'm not sure that the axle will drop more if I disconnect the shocks.

oldcarmark (8/10/2019)

Depends on what Shocks U have on the Car. Anyone who has Replacement Shocks from the Aftermarket Catalog seems to have the same Problem- the Shock stops the Axle from dropping far enough to get even 75 Series Tires off. I found Information Somewhere(maybe even here) that Gabriel G63398 shocks would work and drop far enough but not bottom out on Compression. That Gabriel # could also be cross referenced to other  Manufacturers. Or buy inexpensive Shock Extenders that screw onto the lower end of shock making it longer. I have the Gabriel's on this Car and my last One. Gas Shocks. Never had a Problem and wheels were removable without further Problems.{
By charliemccraney - 5 Years Ago
A more modern size might help with that fitment issue.  Wheel Vintiques make classic looking wheels in modern sizes.  There are probably other brands.  The reason a modern 17" or 18" wheel may make it easier is that there is more room on the inside to get it over the brake drum so you don't have to lift the wheel as high to get it in and on the hub or axle.  Of course, with a modern rim, you're stuck with a modern tire which may not be what you want.
By MplsMike - 5 Years Ago
Just curious, is anyone running a 17 or 18 inch wheel? If so, can you post pictures?
By pegleg - 5 Years Ago
You can also find wheel spacers in 1/8, 1/4 etc. Jegs or Summit carries them. I would not use anything wider and there a good ones and Junk ones. Go for the good with the proper bolt pattern and be sure your wheel studs are long enough. 

By charliemccraney - 5 Years Ago
MplsMike (8/19/2019)
Just curious, is anyone running a 17 or 18 inch wheel? If so, can you post pictures?

In general or on a car?  I have 17s on my truck.
By MoonShadow - 5 Years Ago
Pat Flieshman had 17's on his 57 Ford. Also there is a note hear someplace with the part numbers for some Ford truck front shocks that fit the rear on a 56 and have a longer stroke so the tires come down a bit lower. Disconnecting the shocks helps and I've often done that on mine but since I put on the truck shots I haven't had a problem.
MoonShadow (8/20/2019)
Pat Flieshman had 17's on his 57 Ford. Also there is a note hear someplace with the part numbers for some Ford truck front shocks that fit the rear on a 56 and have a longer stroke so the tires come down a bit lower. Disconnecting the shocks helps and I've often done that on mine but since I put on the truck shots I haven't had a problem.

Gabriel G63398. These are Gas Shocks.  That should be able to cross Reference to other Brand Shocks. They are long enough to drop the Axle to change Tire but not too long that they Bottom out on Compression. Cheap too.