Profile Picture

Wiper Motor

Posted By Bobby O 55 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
          Hi guys, I have a 55 ford Victoria. I converted it to 12v. I want to change the wiper motor from vacuum to electric. Who makes a good motor for this. I had people say they had problems with electric motors. I don't normally go out when it rains, but when I do vacuum wipers don't cut it. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.
oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
I have used Newport Kits twice. Never had a Problem. If You go Newport I would recommend adding their Switch that uses your Stock Control Knob. . I think it helps if U cycle the Electric Motor Once in awhile. I had the last One for 10 Years. Never a Problem. Buy direct from Newport not through One of the Aftermarket Parts Sellers like Macs. If You Order one make sure they know its a '55 converted to 12 Volt.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
Lou
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
!957 scruby bolts right into a 55/56 Ford.
oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Lou (8/2/2019)
!957 scruby bolts right into a 55/56 Ford.

What would You use for a Switch?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
DryLakesRacer
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Bought Newport for my 56.. Love them, bought the extension to use my stock knob now switch. Can't say for the 55 but it was not for the feint of heart to install. The unit installs in a 56 on the opposite side of the original vacuum motor mount and it almost impossible to attach to the threaded brackets of the new motor

After 2 hours of trying with their instructions I put it in  10 minutes by threading the supplied screws into the brackets and using them as studs to hold the new one in place while i installed nuts. I had the 2 nuts and was done in 10 minutes. To retain my driver side defroster air duct I had to down size it by using a PVC adapter and smaller hose. No big deal but the new motor  is now where the older bigger hose once went.

Would I do it again....hell yes but I would either remove the front seat or at least unbolt it and move it back against the rear seat. My radio was removed for an upgrade at the time.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

DryLakesRacer (8/2/2019)
Bought Newport for my 56.. Love them, bought the extension to use my stock knob now switch. Can't say for the 55 but it was not for the feint of heart to install. The unit installs in a 56 on the opposite side of the original vacuum motor mount and it almost impossible to attach to the threaded brackets of the new motor

After 2 hours of trying with their instructions I put it in  10 minutes by threading the supplied screws into the brackets and using them as studs to hold the new one in place while i installed nuts. I had the 2 nuts and was done in 10 minutes. To retain my driver side defroster air duct I had to down size it by using a PVC adapter and smaller hose. No big deal but the new motor  is now where the older bigger hose once went.

Would I do it again....hell yes but I would either remove the front seat or at least unbolt it and move it back against the rear seat. My radio was removed for an upgrade at the time.

Thanks for the Info. Its not hard to get disoriented under the Dash. The first one I did I installed upside down after forgetting which way was up. Good Info about the Hoses. I never hooked mine back up because of the Hose Size not fitting with Motor in place. One thing not to forget is to hookup the Ground Wire. It won't work without that Wire in Place.,

paul2748
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I put a Newport Unit in my 54.  With the dash in.  I really don't remember a problem with the install.  This was done about 16 years ago and never had a problem with the unit.  Used the wipers at the recent CVA convention and they worked perfectly.  Got their special switch too so I could use the 54 knob.

Before you start the install, remove the front set.  Gives you a lot of room to work.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

paul2748 (8/3/2019)
I put a Newport Unit in my 54.  With the dash in.  I really don't remember a problem with the install.  This was done about 16 years ago and never had a problem with the unit.  Used the wipers at the recent CVA convention and they worked perfectly.  Got their special switch too so I could use the 54 knob.

Before you start the install, remove the front set.  Gives you a lot of room to work.

I had no problem with the first One I did. Even re-used the Defroster Hoses. The One I did on my Sunliner did not allow enough Room to hookup the Defroster Hose.Not sure why maybe the Bracket has changed since the first One I did. Its probably a good Idea to cycle the Wipers once in awhile so the Motor doesn't seize up from non use. 

Lou
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
Used the heater switch from a Ford truck, don't remember what year. Used the knob from from a 1956 Ford car.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter