Profile Picture

Did Ford/Mercury Ever Build a 312 Steel Crank

Posted By Oldmics 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
I had heard that Mercury of Canada used them towards the end of production.
Any ideas ?

Thanks,Oldmics
darrell
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: 16 hours ago
not in cars thats for sure.there were always rumors about trucks with 312s having them but nobody ever produced one.
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 3 hours ago
I think this myth is because most people who don't know Y-Blocks tend to refer to them as 312s, even if they're not, you know, all Y-Blocks are 312s when they are for sale.
No 312s in trucks from the factory and no 312 forged cranks.  If either of these were true, there would be proof by now.

Lawrenceville, GA
Oldmics
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Well I might just have the proof ??? This crank has come out of a 292 block that was built for a blower and also has a Harman & Collins roller cam.
Can anyone tell me how to ascertain if this crank that I have is forged or cast? This thing rings like a bell when I tap on it !
I know about the steel 292 cranks having six counterweights and the cast having eight counterweights.
What I have is definatly a 312 crank with 8 counterweights but it has some peculiarities I have not seen when compared to other 312 cranks.

Suggestions??

Oldmics
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

How about some pictures?

The forged cranks I've seen for any pushrod v8 are of a 6 counterweight variety.  Is the engineering number still on it?

I think you can tell forged from cast by the parting lines created by the forging dies or moulds but I'm not well versed on that.

Lawrenceville, GA
Gene Purser
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I have two Mercury flathead 4" cranks. One rings when struck, the other gives a dull thud. There is a difference in finish between the two. The gurus in the know say ford didn't make a forged crank for the Mercury. So I still don't know the cause. I used the ringing crank for the engine in my car. If I ever use the other I'll have it checked thoroughly for cracks or defects.
Oldmics
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

The cranks pretty rusty and crappy looking. EXCEPT for the journals. (Figure that ???)
Im going to wire wheel the majority of the rust off before posting pictures.
It has ECZ 1 stamped on the frontmost counterweight with the number 55 in a box also stamped in the same area.

Oldmics
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

ECZ sounds like a standard cast 312 crank.  I would expect a later unit to also have a later id, as the 292 forged crank did, C1TE instead of EC.

Lawrenceville, GA
darrell
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: 16 hours ago
i would put forged 312 cranks on the same level as bigfoot.
Joe-JDC
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

A forged crankshaft will have a wide parting line that is sometimes 3/8" wide and varies in width, whereas a cast crankshaft will be a very thin line and straight.  A good cast crankshaft will ring like a bell if it is does not have a crack, or lots of crud in the journals and balance holes.  Joe-JDC

JDC

Reading This Topic

Site Meter