Profile Picture

Steering Shaft

Posted By Jack Groat 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Months Ago
I hate posting this since it has nothing to do with a y-block but this is the only website that I get great and fast answers.

I am trying to remove the steering column from my 56 Crown Vic.  The wheel is off, the column outer tube is out.

I am left with a steering shaft that goes directly to the power steering box and I see no way to detach it.  It feels very solid to the box.  Searching one website someone said the shaft is permanently attached to the box.  Yet, when I find a power steering box replacement it shows a spline to attach the shaft??

So anyone have an answer for me?

Thanks Guys
oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Weeks Ago
If that is an "Integral"  Power Steering Box it is not Original to the Car. .Power Steering Hoses going directly to Box and does not have the Power Assist Cylinder Type Power Steering?   No Idea what Box or Steering Column is in the Car now? The Original Box has the Steering Shaft to Steering Wheel as Part of the Gear in the Box with no Coupler..

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
Jack Groat
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)

I am guessing that the box is original.  It has a hydraulic cylinder for the assist.  Are you saying that if it is original, the shaft IS part of the steering box??  I have to pull the box to get the shaft out??
oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Yes Sir. The 2 Piece Shaft with Coupler was not used or several Years after 1956. If You want to remove the Shaft to Steering Wheel the complete Box has to be removed. At the End of that Shaft in the Box is the Worm Gear (Part of the Steering Shaft) which engages the Sector Shaft Gear (Output Shaft  through Bottom of Box).  Pull the Pitman Arm from Box(Mark Location on Arm and output Shaft from Box) before removing so it goes back on same Position. Unbolt Box from Frame and tilt steering Shaft assembly towards Seat and remove through Engine Compartment. Not sure where You got the Information showing a Coupler.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
Genuinerod
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
The shaft comes out with the steering box.  It has a worm gear pressed on to end of the shaft inside the box.  You have to take apart the gear box to remove the shaft.  After market steering boxes use a "rag joint" or "U" joint to connect the shaft to the box.  They require a modified shaft.
oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Genuinerod (7/27/2019)
The shaft comes out with the steering box.  It has a worm gear pressed on to end of the shaft inside the box.  You have to take apart the gear box to remove the shaft.  After market steering boxes use a "rag joint" or "U" joint to connect the shaft to the box.  They require a modified shaft.

If You do disassemble the Box to get to that Shaft You will need to have  it Reassembled by Someone who knows the correct way to assemble and Adjust the Box. Its not a Case of replace Shaft and reassemble the Box. Bearing Preload and Mesh need to be Setup Properly. Lares Corp offers a Rebuild and return Service for these Steering Boxes. You might want to Contact them if You need that Shaft replaced as part of Rebuild and see if they have a good used replacement to use as part of the Repair..If Your Shaft is good as far as Threads that hold the Steering Wheel on but the Gear on the end of Shaft is damaged the Gear can be replaced alone as it is available as a replacement Part. It needs to be pressed onto Shaft and Box reassembled. 1956 used 2 Different Boxes as Ford revamped the Box in the later Part of 1956 so your Box could have early Type with 2 Teeth on the Sector Shaft or later Style with 3 Teeth.The Early Style was carry over from 1955 but they experienced premature Wear on the Gears and went to 3 Tooth Box later in the Year when the old Boxes were used up. You will need to determine which Box You have. 

Jack Groat
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks guys.  We are removing the column to get to the wiring under the dash.  There is nothing wrong with the steering, as a mater of fact it is one thing that works well on this car.  I suppose now it will get screwed all up.
oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

If the Box is good just removing it should not cause a Problem. Just mark the Position of the Arm on the Box before You pull it off. It will go back on in any Position and mess up the Steering. I guess You are still trying to sort out the Wiring by the Sounds of it.

DryLakesRacer
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
If you don't have one already purchase an 11" x 17" laminated wiring diagram from ClassicCarWiring.com . It is in color and a godsend when working with stock or stock replacement wiring. The Ford manual is excellant for this including placement of the wiring. I've done most of mine without removing the column. I set milk crates even with the door and place moving blankets from HF on them and lay on my back.. I also either remove the seat or at least unbolt it and move it back about a foot...I'm 75 years old and it's a PIA but not that bad

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter