Profile Picture

1956 Ford car Wilwood Disc brake conversion with MC

Posted By DryLakesRacer 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Look for a search but didn't find one...
Called the Wilwood Corp and inquired on a non power front disc brake kit and MC. Pretty straight forward. Only thing out of the ordinary was using the MC for the Mustang because of the "eye" style rod going to the pedal. With a 5-1 pedal ratio and no power a 7/8" MC was recommended along with a 10# residual valve for the back drum brakes. This kit for the MC includes an adjustable proportion valve and a spot for the brake light pressure switch.

I'm looking to do direct bolt on to a 56 spindle without digging around in a bone yard and also using Chinese knock off parts. They said use any supplier and Summit is the best at $983 and change. Some may not like it but this is OK with me. Ebay is full of cheap kits and I've read abut them all and am not interested.

Has anyone here on our forum installed this exact kit 140-12922 and MC 261-13272. or a complete Wilwood kit on another vehicle? And what did you/they think. I like the 4 piston calipers and what's said n their instructions.. Thanks

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
miker
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I’ve got a set of Wilwood’s on the front of an OT car. I don’t know if the combo was spec’ed by them or DSE (Detroit Speed and Engineering) , but I suspect they were part of it. They stop like you’ve hit a wall. I’ve also watched a couple pro builders I know personally install them a a number of cars with good results. So I’d be inclined to trust them.

It’s interesting they say they’ll work with stock wheels. The more common conversions use the later model (in my case Granada) rotors with the hub turned down for the early wheels. So a rotor replacement requires you do that.

I’m partial to adjustable valves on the rear brakes rather than a combo valve, but the combo valve on the OT car seems right on the money.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
This kit for the MC includes an adjustable proportion valve and a spot for the brake light pressure switch.

JFYI -

Text is included in the Wildwood info page for their valves:

WARNING - Adjustable proportioning valves are designed for tuning and balancing custom brake systems on performance, racing, and other types of special purpose vehicles. They are not designed as direct replacements for any OEM application.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/ea7c3a07-81ff-4814-a7c5-9f5f.png

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/6e68b0a2-be76-4de6-879a-9b2d.png

A METERING VALVE is used to INITIALLY prevent front wheel brake lock-up, not a PROPORTIONING VALVE. A PPV is meant to reduce fluid pressure to the rear brakes hopefully preventing rear wheel lock-up during a panic stop.

This valve is actually a bias reducing valve and not DOT approved for use on a street car.

As for stated OEM wheel fitment, if you fine read the INSTRUCTIONS SHEET, it states some OEM wheels may not work. They use spacers to move the wheel outwards from the caliper body.

Hunkering down in bunker with steel pot to prepare for incoming ... https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/images/graemlins/default/27.gif

Reading This Topic

Site Meter