Profile Picture

Cooling fan ?

Posted By Melly 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 days ago
I have a 312 4V setup in my 55 fairlane. It has a 3 blade fan on it. I am not having over heating issues but until I put a temp gage in it seems really hot . I see there are fans with 4,5,6 blades on them. Which should I look to put on ? Does it require removing or unbolting the radiator to replace?
paul2748
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 minutes ago
A 4 or more blade fan will help.  Depending on how much room between the fan and the radiator there is, you may be able to get a wrench in between.  If not a socket and ratchet, a regular box wrench may work.  I would advise taping  a piece if cardboard onto the radiator to prevent any mishap.  You don't have to worry much if there is enough room for the bolts to come out as you do not have to completely remove the bolts to pull the fan.  just unscrew them enough to clear the threads in the water pump and take the fan and spacer off as a unit..  Sometimes the spacer can be a bitch to pull because of it seizing onto the water pump..  Some raps (not too hard) with a hammer can loosen this.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Got a 6 Blade on mine. If You are very careful and have good Fingers the Blade can be changed with Rad in place. 3 Blade is the Basic Fan Blade.Don't buy a Flex Fan. Very annoying. Buy a Steel One like U have now.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
paul2748
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 minutes ago
I second the flex fan thing - don't use it.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Melly
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)

So as always great information, from great group of very helpful people. Thanks
Where might be a source to find fans?
Rono
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I agree with what others have said, especially regarding the flex fan. I have had a terrible experience with one of those that I won't go into here. If you fan belt is very
 tight, you may want to loosen the generator/alternator to relieve the tension and this should allow the bolts to come out without binding on the pulley.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

Sandbird
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Can't remember the years it was when Ford used flex fans on some of their cars and recalled them. The blades would fly off .  Saw one fly up and hit the ceiling and another slice through the hood. Very dangerous,
oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Melly (7/22/2019)
So as always great information, from great group of very helpful people. Thanks
Where might be a source to find fans?

The Diameter of Fan is 17"-18". I think the Original is 18".  I found a 17" on Kijiji. Ford Water Pump Bolt Pattern is pretty much Standard for most Cars from about 55-late 60's when a lot of Fords had Clutch Fans.You can check some of the usual Suppliers of Parts for our Cars. Used Fan just sand it and Re-spray using Gloss Rustoleum. If You change Fan make sure its facing correct Direction to pull Air through the Rad. Before You hook up belt etc give it a Spin by Hand to make sure it clears everything OK.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
bergmanj
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)

Last Active: 8 hours ago
"If You change Fan make sure its facing correct Direction to pull Air through the Rad.": It doesn't matter; it's the same "twist" either way; a "pulling" fan will always "pull" whether "reversed" or not, providing it's spun the same way.

Regards, JLB

55 Ford Crown Victoria Steel Top
GREENBIRD56
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Some of the fans have a radius on the leading edge (toward radiator) in order to clear the fan shrouding. Thunderbirds in particular. In that case, the direction of installation is important.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9ea2bf28-00c4-4772-9ac7-d154.jpg 
 Steve Metzger       Tucson, Arizona

Reading This Topic

Site Meter