Carb and HEI Distributor Recommendations for '59 Y Block

Posted By guiljones 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Carb and HEI Distributor Recommendations for '59 Y Block

Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Having issues in both areas.

Carb accelerator pump doesn't work after several rebuilds and the engine wont start without starting fluid or gas down the venturis. Choking doesn't help. Runs fine after start, but a pain in the arse!

Want to install a HEI dizzy....Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Guil
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 47 minutes ago
If the accelerator pump doesn't work, then it also would not run fine after start.  It would be very difficult to accelerate without stalling the engine.  Are you sure that's the problem?

Since the carb has been rebuilt multiple times, it's possible that an incorrect kit was used and therefore, incorrect gaskets were used, blocking passages necessary for correct operation.  It's also possible that insufficient evaluation or cleaning took place, resulting in inaccurate diagnoses and repair of the original problem.  Another possibility is that the carb had been properly tuned at one point but "baseline" components were used at the time of the rebuild, returning it to factory specs which are not a match for the current engine combination or altitude / environmental requirements.

HEI is used interchangeably with electronic ignition now.  There is MSD and the Chinese knock-offs.  There is also FBO, who modify Pertronix small block distributors to fit Y-Block.  There are also numerous conversions for stock distributors.  If your current distributor is original or unknown history, then it probably needs a rebuild and rebuild cost plus conversion cost can approach the cost of some of the new offerings.

Lawrenceville, GA
oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
guiljones (7/4/2019)
Having issues in both areas.

Carb accelerator pump doesn't work after several rebuilds and the engine wont start without starting fluid or gas down the venturis. Choking doesn't help. Runs fine after start, but a pain in the arse!

Want to install a HEI dizzy....Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Guil

Would be helpful to know what Carb U are working with? Get the Carb working properly and the Ignition problem will probably fix itself.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
Talkwrench
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Personally I love HEI ign, I dont think there's much available for the Yblock. I can vouch for the Pertronix ignitor 3 with matching coil, but it must go into a good distributor that should be plenty for the street. 
What carb are you working with ? 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/02c74785-3ce2-4b80-a66c-f31f.jpg

"Came too close to dying to stop living now!"
DryLakesRacer
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I use a Pertronics ll for years with no problem in a 57 dist.
It sounds to me if any accelerator pump arm is working the gasoline in it is just recirculating or the spring in it collapsing because the circuit is plugged. Depending on the carb there are check balls and springs that also can cause this. The squirters have very small orifaces. Weld tip cleaners work well to make sure they are open.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
A bit more detail on your carburetor and ignition would be helpful.  You say a ’59 model but don’t mention if this is a car or truck.  Ford 2V carbs on the cars and Holley carbs on the trucks so the accelerator pump fixes are different for each.  Being a ’59 model, you have a twelve volt system which at least rules out a voltage drop issue that can occur with a six volt system.  That doesn't rule out parts of your current ignition system being worn out or degraded to the point that you are getting a weak spark at the plugs.  MSD offers an electronic distributor for the Y while Pertronix offers pointless ignition conversions for the stock distributors.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

guiljones
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)

Many thanks, Ted, I'm on the hunt for a good dizzy to adress my ingition issue. Thinking a rebuild on my stock unit, then going Petronix. Cheers. Carb issue may be to complicated for me....What off the shelf carb would you recommend?
guiljones
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Thanks Racer (we have RED racer snakes out here in the trans pecos,, but they no bite) ! Which off the shelf carb would you favor? Cheers.
guiljones
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

200 MPH in a Crown Vic??? Man, That's interesting: take me with you, yes? Very good info on my issues....Many thanks!
Tim Quinn
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
FYI,
I installed an electronic ignition distributor fro CRT  PERFORMANCE almost 3 yrs ago and have had no problems. The are priced right, have the wires, coil and dizzy.
Contact information: crtperformance.com or  call Roger @508.783.0004

Hope this is helpful,
Tim
Wet and Humid
Florida 33706

Reading This Topic

Site Meter