Profile Picture

Clutch supplier request

Posted By Richard 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 days ago
I think my stock clutch setup is insufficient
Slips when I push it.
Seem to remember McCloud or something.
Need a source.
Thanks Richard.
Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
This may be somewhat controversial, but in my opinion a stock clutch behind a stock Y-Block should not slip when you push it.  I have a stock clutch disk and pressure plate in my TBird and I can burn the tires off it.  I don't drive like that, but a stock clutch with less than 300 hp pushing it is more than up to the task. Are you sure you don't have something else going on like bad adjustment or oil on the flywheel?  You can spend a lot of money on a diaphragm clutch. 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 1 hour ago
I don't think that is controversial at all.  A stock or stock replacement clutch should handle a stock engine, period.  If it is a modified engine then it may not be able to hold it.

To clarify something that's probably obvious, you say that it slips when you push it.  My first thought was that it slips when you push the pedal, which it absolutely will and should at some point.  Then Phil's comment kicked my brain into gear and by push it, you probably mean under hard acceleration?

Many of the higher powered street guys use Centerforce dual friction.  I have one of those in my truck (not so high powered, yet) and really can't see a reason to go with anything else, perhaps aside from cost.  The pedal feels like the stock replacement clutch I replaced and it's supposed to hold about 500hp, which it does seem to do, going by the number of them in use at the Y-Block Nationals through the years.
In contrast, I have a Mcleod in my Firebird which is their step up from stock replacement and that pedal feels significantly heavier while only being recommended for about 300hp.  "Mild bolt on mods" is what they say.  It's not too bad but I do notice it when I switch to the car after driving the truck for a while.

Lawrenceville, GA
paul2748
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Centerforce dual friction disc and pressure plate are good choices.  Had then in two of my cars with no problems.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

miker
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I’m also a believer in the Centerforce clutches. I’ve used them in numerous vehicles. They’re nice and light to operate and great holding power. This doesn’t mean I’d pull a good clutch that was working well just for the change.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ

Reading This Topic

Site Meter