Profile Picture

T86 O/D Transmission Leaks

Posted By Florida_Phil 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
My 55 TBird has it's original T86 R10 three speed top load O/D transmission.  It has leaked fluid since I have had it.  I think it is leaking from the front, but it doesn't put oil on the clutch or pressure plate.  When I rebuilt my engine last year, I removed the transmission and pulled the front bearing cover.   There is no front seal in these transmissions.  I called Vanpelt and he confirmed there is no front seal.  These transmission use rifling groves on the input shaft to retain the oil.  I put a new gasket on the input shaft cover, new seals on the shift levers and the O/D solenoid and reinstalled it.  The transmission works perfectly, but it still leaks on my garage floor.  I use SAE 90 Ford Tractor Mineral Oil in this transmission.  Any ideas?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
I don't remember if it was T-86s or not, but I know some Borg Warner transmissions used a disc type freeze plug to seal the front hole in the case where the cluster shaft hole is bored through.  If the transmission has been apart before, that plug may not have been installed, and when you worked on it, you may not have recognized the need.  If I'm wrong, and T-86s didn't have this, I apologize.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
FORD DEARBORN
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 6 days ago
Greetings to all:  I had the same trans oil leaks on a 3 speed side cover trans and was ale to stop the leaks coming from the front of the trans. Like your trans, there was no seal in the bearing retainer and it too had the spiraling on the inside. I ordered a new input shaft bearing with seals, removed the seal that would have been inside the trans and left the remaining seal on the outside of the bearing in place. No more oil migrating down the input shaft.  Looking at my shop manual at the T86, a freeze plug style cap is installed in the access port for the shift interlock mechanism.  As John mentioned above, that may be missing or damaged on your T86. It looks as though the forward end of the cluster gear counter shaft is exposed and that can be a potential leak.  In my case. I could see the tell-tail pattern of the bell housing on the trans mounting surface. It just so happened that the counter shaft was in one of the pockets of the bell housing. I made a very thin gasket placed between the trans and bell housing which trapped any leaked oil in that pocket. If you can enlist the services of a bearing store they should be able to come up with a sealed, not shielded, bearing for you. These bearings are generally easy to find even with the snap ring grove. There is also an oil shield/slinger between the bearing and shoulder of the input shaft. Make sure it''s in there oriented properly.     Hope this helps, JEFF..................

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
Daniel Jessup
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

The Hoosier Hurricane is barking up the right tree - my 3 speed Borg Warner OD transmission just has the cluster gear shaft resting in the bore (on the front and rear of the main case) without a plug or any other seal. The way the case and shaft are made, there is no room for a plug. Last time I had the transmission out, I used a good dab of transmission gasket sealer on the bore to seal the circumference of the shaft to the casing bore. There is quite a bit more on this on my website, www.hotrodreverend.com , in the blog pages.

Daniel Jessup

Loveland, Ohio

aka "The Hot Rod Reverend" w00t
check out the 1955 Ford Fairlane build at www.hotrodreverend.com

Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

OK guys, I stand corrected.  Give me my 20 lashes.  Maybe that plug I mentioned was in my very early T-85 from a '49 Lincoln.  I had that trans in about '60, so my memory about it is a little fuzzy.  It was in my '56 Fairlane.

Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Thanks for the info.  As you know, removing an O/D transmission from an early TBird is a daunting task. This requires either removing the engine or loosening the bell housing as the transmission will not move back far enough for the input shaft to clear the bell housing.  For now, I'll just have to put up with it.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Maybe you can slide the trans  back far enough to clean the area of the cluster gear shaft area with brake clean and dab some RTV on the area and slide the trans back in place.

Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

It's worth a try.  I never thought about the transmission leaking from that spot.  I always assumed it was leaking around the input shaft. I couldn't figure out why the clutch and flywheel stayed dry.  Makes sense.  Thanks!

Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I'm still chasing a leak in my 1955 TBird with a BW T86 O/D transmission with a R10 overdrive.  I thought it might be at the cluster shaft hole in the front of the transmission.  It is difficult to tell if the leak is engine oil or transmission fluid as they both look similar.  Today, I jacked up the car in the my garage.  I started the engine, warmed it up and went through the gears to get everything moving.  Everything works perfectly.

I crawled under the car and removed the bottom dust cover on the bell housing.   The clutch and pressure plate are bone dry.  The rear engine seal is not leaking.  The transmission input shaft is not leaking. My engine has a road draft tube.  I can see fumes coming out of the tube with the engine running.  No smoke.  No oil. Just fumes.

I removed the top transmission lube fill plugs on both the front of the transmission and the O/D unit.  Gear oil came out of the front hole. Nothing came out of the rear hole in the O/D.  I let the gear oil drain until it stopped.  A few ounces came out.  This lead me to believe I may be overfilling the transmission.  I tried to add gear oil to the O/D unit.  To my surprise it took some.  I was not aware that the transmission and the O/D unit are joined.  I continued to fill the O/D unit.  Gear oil started coming out of the front oil fill hole again.  I concluded the transmission is totally full.   I let both holes drain and reinstalled the plugs.

I have no idea where this gear oil is coming from.  It seems to be coming from the passenger side of the transmission.  There is nothing there that could leak except the fill plugs.   The mystery continues.  We will see what happens.

FORD DEARBORN
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 6 days ago
It sounds like your trans was running with excess oil. Adding oil to the O/D unit until it runs out the trans fill plug is correct. I have never owned or worked on a T86 trans but isn't the vent a small hole in a raised section of the tin top cover? The hole in the gasket looks like it may be off-set enough to not allow oil to get to the vent hole. Maybe excess oil could have been thrown at the cover gasket and possibly made it's way to the vent hole. I'll try to include a couple pics of the T86 from my 64 truck manual with the vent hole circled. I totally share your anguish solving this leak. Hope this helps, JEFF.............http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/132e2f79-cf62-453d-8dd3-b028.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/1df67a49-4312-4862-9c22-bd23.jpg

64F100 57FAIRLANE500

Reading This Topic

Site Meter