Profile Picture

272 recondt. heads using oil!

Posted By '49 bomb! 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Problem Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
hi all! I just rebuilt my 272 over winter, it only has
some limited miles. what is going on is, it's puffing
blue smoke upon start, and using some oil. ( I had
this issue prior to rebuild). I had the heads recondt.
at a reputable shop?. they said they put new guides
as needed?. I know there are no valve stem seals
on the exhaust valves. I took the headers off, found
some oil on some exhaust valves. I really don't want
to have to take these heads off again. does anybody
have any suggestions how to stop this oil burn?
thanks!
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/32e64c3b-495d-4d0b-b0ae-2a9a.jpg
Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
You do need seals on all the valves.  A positive type of seal is more effective than the umbrella seals when it comes to oil control down the guides.  I’m surprised that the person(s) doing the head work did not install seals on all the valves.  With all that being said, umbrella seals can be put on the valves that are missing them without pulling the heads.  If the heads have been machined for positive seals on all the guides, then use positive seals instead of the umbrella style.  Doing this operation with the heads on the engine will require pressurizing the cylinders while using the appropriate tools to remove and replace the springs while the valves are being held in place with air pressure.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Ted beat Me to it!   Great Minds think alike as the saying goes. LOL.       I am almost Positive there should be Seals on all Valves. Why would there not be Seals on the Exhaust Valves???

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
'49 bomb!
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Something else just came to mind? This is a heavy duty truck engine. Which means it has bigger diameter exhaust valves. Does anyone know what size umbrella seal I need, for exhaust valves?
2721955meteor
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

heads  are most likely from industrial ,or truck engine ,and sodium filled stems,you will need to find a ind. dealer for the bigger seals.also on intakes i use 289/ early 302 vave  seals,just trim the umbrella 1/8th ,so it has more umbrella than correct yb seals
you may want to remove the heads and get have stem bushings from 54scrub 6cyl have them iinstalledin exhaust discard the sodium valves.and retainers.ther are usually hardened seats in ind. cases in ths1s idid the stock y ext. where same  head size.  hear in canada those engines where in lumber cariers and fork lifts. good luck 
darrell
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

these heads dont use seals on exhaust.the odd time an engine will use oil after the heads have been of.
2721955meteor
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

not saying they did use seals,suggesting how they can be be modified to be useful on the street,as sodium vaves do not belong on a light duty engine
darrell
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

i ran a 292 heavy engine in my last 56.all truck parts and sodium valves.ran as nice as any i ever drove.
darrell
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

i know sodium valves are not for the street as you say but they dont cause any amount of oil burning without seals mine gave about 1000 to quart.it was a rebuild out of a cabover so i didnt want to take it apart had 471 heads.a real nice engine.
DryLakesRacer
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
If you don't have air, take out the plugs (you are anyway) and put in some clothes line rope and rotate the piston around  until it stops hold the valves, then compress the springs removing the keepers/retainers and put the seals on and reverse the procedure. I always put seals on all the valves done it too many times to count, Even an O-ring will help...

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter