Profile Picture

Tires and wheels for 56 customline

Posted By montana ford man 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (311 reputation)Supercharged (311 reputation)Supercharged (311 reputation)Supercharged (311 reputation)Supercharged (311 reputation)Supercharged (311 reputation)Supercharged (311 reputation)Supercharged (311 reputation)Supercharged (311 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
Before I order my new cragar wheels I just want to know what tires and wheels other guys have on their cars. My plans are the 15”x7” ss cragars with 215 70 15 tires.I have 205 70 15 now ,with JC Whitney wheel adapters. They don’t rub and the edge on the inner fender on back was flattened years ago. the old Appliance wheels came off my 1973 full size t bird. just want a little reassurance from others that have gone down this road before.
miker
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
I’ve got a ‘bird, so I can’t speak for the back, but I’ve got 15x7 with 3 1/2” backspace and 225/60 15’s on the front. Sidewall to the upper ball joint is very close. So you’ll need to look at that. A 215/70 should have a little less bulge, so with 3 1/2 you’d be fine. I’ve seen post that say 4” backspace is ok, but it wouldn’t work on my car.

FWIW, the rears are 15x7 with 4” backspace, and 235/60’s. Some pass car owners have commented the tires clear, but changing a tire requires dropping a rear shock to get the wheel and tire out. Might wait for an answer on that. I don’t think I’d do 7” rims again, just really tight for the small improvements over a 6” width.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
As far as problems getting rear Wheels off because Shocks are too Short U can buy Extenders for the Bottom Stud that will solve that Problem. Or Gabriel G63398 HD Shocks can be used as replacements. These are pretty Cheap to buy. Rock Auto among others have them. Sand them off and spray Paint Black. U wouldn't know the Difference.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
paul2748
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

I have a 54 Victoria with 225 x 15's , 15 X 7 SS Cragars on the back.  Standard offset.  No rubbing problems.  They are difficult to mount and remove though.

On the front I have 14 X 6 SS Cragars  with  195 X 14 tires mounted on Granada disks. Also standard offset. No interference problems.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

montana ford man
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (311 reputation)Supercharged (311 reputation)Supercharged (311 reputation)Supercharged (311 reputation)Supercharged (311 reputation)Supercharged (311 reputation)Supercharged (311 reputation)Supercharged (311 reputation)Supercharged (311 reputation)

thanks everyone for your ideas,I will probably get the 6 inch wide wheels. the problem with ordering wheels on line is having them be too big and paying the freight to ship them back.the tires that are on the car now look like new,but I bought them in the mid 90s! been taking short trips to town,but  know that that really isn't too smart. thanks again
miker
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

I don't know what they’ll do in your area, but my wheels came from Les Schwab tires. They were American Salt Flats, and the same price I could find online. They guaranteed the fit without the tires (I’m using Diamond Backs with a blue line). This is a small outlying shop, but they do a lot of hot rods. So might be worth asking if Schwab is in your area. I’m assuming it’s a corporate discount that got them there on the price.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
montana ford man (6/21/2019)
Thanks everyone for your ideas,  I will probably get the 6 inch wide wheels.  The problem with ordering wheels on line is having them be too big and paying the freight to ship them back.  The tires that are on the car now look like new, but I bought them in the mid 90s!  Been taking short trips to town, but  know that that really isn't too smart.  Thanks again

New tires are recommended as the age of the tires you have now makes them ripe for failure.  Besides putting both you and the passengers at risk, the damage to the car in the event of a blown tire would not be worth the risk in using the twenty plus year old tires.  New tires would be cheap considering the alternatives.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Joe-JDC
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 39 minutes ago
Around here, you can't get a shop to change a tire that is over 5 years old by the codes on the tire.  There is a liability issue and safety issue due to the tires failing after certain ages.  As Ted said, it is not worth the risk.  I keep a set of original tires and rims for my Shelby GT-500 for show, but have new wheels and tires for street.  Recently I needed to swap tires on my 91 LX Mustang, and the tires still had the blue soap from new install on them, but they had been sitting in my garage more than 5 years and they would not touch them due to the 5 year time limit, even though they obviously were still new rubber.  Just my experience, but I now have several tires that will not pass a state inspection due to their age.  Joe-JDC

JDC
montana ford man
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks for all the usual good information and comments.I will definitely get my new tires and wheels before I drive any where. Ted sounds like my older brother,he said the same thing.he has a 68 camero that he has had for the last 48 years,he probably puts on about 200 miles a year so the tires were like new.he put new ones on recently and found the tires were coming apart inside. Thanks again
MoonShadow
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)

One of the problems with this new way of thinking on tires is to remember to make the tire dealer show you the date code on a new tire being installed. For cars like ours that we tend to keep I want the current months date on the tire. Some of them have been on the rack for a long long time. In 1972 in Germany I needed new front tires for my 69 Fairlane Cobra. Of course nobody had them but the on base gas station a pair of 7.00-15's still in the wrappers. He had them for a very long time but they were still called new. I had no choice and bought them. They wore like iron! I think they out lasted two sets of H-50 x 15"s I had on the rear.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire

Reading This Topic

Site Meter