Profile Picture

Head gaskets 292

Posted By 55charliebird 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Reading this forum I discover my gaskets are installed wrong. Both square corners are facing the firewall in the upward position. My question is "did ford ever install them like this? Explain again why it causes overheating besides the obvious. Also I have a frozen spark plug which a short while ago was easy to remove twice. Now all of a sudden its frozen. Any tips on how to remove it? How far does it extend into the open cylinder beyond the threads? As always, thanks for your expertise. Charlie
Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Today @ 2:39:34 AM
When the head gaskets are installed correctly, the water coolant flow travels through both sides of the block to the rear and then up into the heads where it travels forward before exiting at the intake manifold and then the thermostat.  There are three scenarios for head gasket installation on the Y.  Both gaskets installed correctly, only one gasket installed correctly, or both gaskets installed incorrectly.

If the head gasket(s) are installed backwards, then the large coolant hole at the end of the head gasket is at the front of the engine rather than at the rear.  This essentially has the majority of the coolant flow from the water pump going into the cylinder head at the front of the engine and then directly back into the intake manifold to the thermostat.  With the head gasket installed backwards, there’s minimal circulation taking place within the block or the heads which in turn becomes an overheating issue. 

Here’s a picture of a correctly installed head gasket.  The arrow points to the coolant hole in the gasket that is the primary path for coolant from the block to the head.  Disregard where the fire ring has been pushed up into the oil galley section.  That was simply the result of low octane fuel and a compression ratio that was much too high for that particular fuel.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/44d7acd5-5f5e-4faa-8311-0423.jpg

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

55charliebird
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)

Thanks Ted..Looks like I have work ahead.. Impact gun will make quick work of it. Any thoughts on frozen spark plug. Thanks Charlie.
Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Today @ 2:39:34 AM
Besides soaking with plenty of penetrant, you might try that impact wrench on it.  Use an impact socket if it will get on the plug as the thinner walled spark plug socket may break using that impact wrench.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

57RancheroJim
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Try to leave the plug in until after remove the head so you can soak it from both sides?
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 9 hours ago
There are thin wall impact sockets.  I got one for the axle retainer bolts of a 9"  It's about the same size as a standard socket.  However, I have found that standard sockets are sometimes even too big to fit in the spark plug bore of the head.

Presumably, the car is still together.  It will probably be easier to get a wrench on it once out of the car and may come loose more easily when you have better access to it.

Lawrenceville, GA
55charliebird
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Engine still intact.  I will wait till I pull the heads, if the penetrating fluid does not work..   Thanks for all the good tips and the explanation of water flow through the block.  Charlie.
paul2748
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Most ordinary deep sockets will work with an impact gun.   I do it all the time.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Standard sockets do work.  It's the same drive size.  They just aren't intended for the shock of an impact wrench.  While you should always wear safety glasses when using an impact wrench, definitely use some if using a standard socket.

Lawrenceville, GA
55charliebird
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Reply to all of you.  This morning I figured i'd give the frozen spark plug another shot of penetrant oil.  When I put the socket on the plug IT WAS FINGER TIGHT.  My first thought was that I was on the wrong plug, so I took all the rest out with no issues,  Now, im sure that I was on the same plug as before but cant explain why it was practically finger tight,,,,,,,,and it was clean, no carbon and no rust.  I cant explain it.  Ive done engine work before and im sure it was frozen.  I do believe in miracles.....what else can I say.  Thanks for your help..    Next, on to the incorrect head gasket installation.  Thanks

Reading This Topic

Site Meter