Profile Picture

Cleaning gas tank 1958 Ford Ranchero

Posted By oldhotrodford 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I recently discovered I got water in my gas tank thanks to Hurricane Florence. Rust showed up in the see-thru fuel filter. I drained the gas and a lot of rust particles came out. I can pull the tank and go through the process of cleaning it out as usual. The problem is, on this tank, the pickup in the tank has a "sock" around it and is not easily accessible. I don't want to be so aggressive as to ruin the sock around the pickup. This tank is about 12 years old. Any ideas? 
Lou
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 12 hours ago
I would think the pickup tube would be removable and the scok would come with it.
oldhotrodford
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)

You would think that is the case. The Ranchero and station wagon (including Courier) have an oddball tank that is formed around the unused spare tire well. Thanks for the reply Lou.
Jeff
oldhotrodford
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

I don't know why my response posted twice. I promise I only hit "Post Reply" once!

Duplicate post deleted by the moderators.
57RancheroJim
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Strange difference and I don't know why? I had to cut off the top of my tank and replace it, it was rusted out and so was the spare tire well area depression. There was no pick up tube or sock in mine, it just drains through the lower left side were the fuel line attaches..  I remove the depression on the tank and the spare tire well and welded in flat stock,
oldhotrodford
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

That is how my original tank was---rusted on the TOP! I patched it with some fiberglass but the inside was rusty. That is when I found the "sock" inside and I just ordered a new tank from Bob Drake. I bet you gained some major capacity by cutting out that spare well recess!
Thanks,
Jeff
57RancheroJim
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
oldhotrodford (6/12/2019)
That is how my original tank was---rusted on the TOP! I patched it with some fiberglass but the inside was rusty. That is when I found the "sock" inside and I just ordered a new tank from Bob Drake. I bet you gained some major capacity by cutting out that spare well recess!
Thanks,
Jeff
I think it should have added 1-1/2 to 2 gallons. I've never run it to empty to find out.

2721955meteor
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 14 hours ago
REPLAVE the tank,you will never get it clean,and leak free.i had a 57 ranchero and went threw the drill. there was  a co buffalo tanks that where avail  on ebay
and same as poem

Reading This Topic

Site Meter